minty treats?

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

minty treats?

Post by KathrynH »

I have had a problem with Buddha wanting to eat mints or anything else that is minty-ish...like Halls' cough drops. I try and make sure that everything is out of his reach, but the other day he got into some mints, and of course they made him sick, and then he almost got a Burts Bee's chapstick open to start chewing on, luckily we found him with it in time. So, what I'm wondering is if there are any doggy treats that are minty like that?
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: minty treats?

Post by summer_rose03 »

There are all kind of doggy breath treats out that are minty with parsley or something. I got Carter these soft minty/carob treats at Walmart and he actually kinda liked them. He didn't know what to think at first. The remind me of doggy Andes candies. Smell ok, definitely minty.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

My chows's biscuits are made by HealthPro. They are tasty and approved whole heartedly by my trio. I approve too. They have a mint biscuit line called "Fresh Bites". Again, the trio really, really enjoy it. There's a review on the Zhuyo's treat review by Miss Pooh Bear thread of their short ribs/beef and chicken and turkey line. The fellow who started the company is really nice. We e-mail one another from time to time when I can't find their biscuits.

fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Bear likes the little Talk to Me treats. They're supposed to go in the ball or whatever, but he just gets a couple every once in a while. You can find them at Petsmart. The whole pack loves the Beefeaters Twist Sticks (mint flavored) from Dog.com. They come in a bundle of 75. The only problem is they're out of stock a lot of the time.
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

Thanks for all the help! I thought it was totally bizarre that he loves mint so much!
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

KathrynH wrote:Thanks for all the help! I thought it was totally bizarre that he loves mint so much!
In case he already has any symptoms of acid reflux, and is attracted to the mints because of their cooling effect - keep in mind that the mints can make any acid reflux worse because of the way they affect the sphincter in the esophagus.
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

What are the symptoms? I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary with him. He's always like anything that has that cooling effect.
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

Oh, PetSmart also has Yip Yap doggy mints. They are usually up by the registers.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

KathrynH wrote:What are the symptoms? I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary with him. He's always like anything that has that cooling effect.
Some of the symptoms include burning pain, gagging, upchucking liquids/froth, upchucking food (especially after a large meal), swallowing motions when acid reflux escapes into esophagus, inflammation in the esophagus, etc.
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

Oh, thanks Kiwani! He doesn't exhibit any of those symptoms that I've noticed, but I'll watch him more.