6 month old chow help plz

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

lola chow
Rank 1
Rank 1

6 month old chow help plz

Post by lola chow »

hi i was wondering if you could tell me what you all feed your chows on please i am been driven mad by my mother who says my dog should not be given dried food she cannot understand that a dreid food is a complete food any advice please :? :?
Chingshouse
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: 6 month old chow help plz

Post by Chingshouse »

Our pups get Science Diet, the vet told us they need more dry food then wet to keep the tartar off there teeth and to prevent mouth disease. They sure appreciate some canned food every once in a while!!

Barb :)
lola chow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lola chow »

i do give her treats as well not just the food just wondered what everyone else uses thanks :D
Buddha4me
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Buddha4me »

My dogs have always had just dry food. Buddha is on Purina One, although I'm sure there are better foods out there. My vet also recommended dry food to help keeping tartar down. Most store bought wet food seems to be just full of too much fat. I did feed one of my Chows a wet/dry mix because that was what she was used to when I got her. She was overweight!
Image Bouncing Buddha Bear
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I give mine dry food mixed with a little gravy mixture I make. I was just reading this:
http://30minvetconsult.com/blog/2009/01 ... -myths-exp that says dry food doesn't prevent tartar build-up. Interesting.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

My two eat Nutro Natural Choice lamb&rice dry. They also get canned salmon or sardines or a healthy canned food as a bonus/treat twice a week. Unless you plan on doing a raw diet then a good quality dry food is best which you can supplement with salmon, sardines, an egg here and there...etc. There are tons of food threads on here if you do a search.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

My Chow eats Blue Buffalo Large Breed Chicken and my English Setter, as well as my previous senior Chow mix, Frisco, eats Blue Buffalo Senior. So far I have had no issues with this brand and my English Setter's allergies seemed to have improved. Frisco loved it and now both Cash and Carter love it.

My boys only eat dry food. If I were to feed them canned, they wouldn't want the dry! If they get wet food, its the occasional Beneful meals. They are actually really good and smell and look good enough for me to eat!

As far as treats, My setter will eat anything, but Carter is picky. They get treats from out local DOG Bakery, Carvers, and the banana chips wrapped in chicken.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
lola chow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lola chow »

thanks guys that is helpful sometimes when constantly talked at you start to doubt your own judgement will carry on as i am once again thanks its appreciated :wink: :wink:
Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

My first chow would not eat all of the dry food, ate it lazily, then I started mixing some wet into it w/ warm water for a little gravy. Then she was standing on her hind legs waiting for me to finish mixing it up. My new Maggie may 8 month old puppy is eating Blackwood 3000, dry lamb and rice with a tablespoon full of beneful w/ warm water and she loves it. coat is shiny.