Purina Puppy Chow? PLEASE ANSWER MY FOOD QUESTION

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

TXSusiQ
Rank 1
Rank 1

Purina Puppy Chow? PLEASE ANSWER MY FOOD QUESTION

Post by TXSusiQ »

Ok I've been reading around here like crazy and have another food question.

Got an email yesterday from our breeder and she said the puppy will be on Purina Puppy Chow

Ingredients

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (Min) 27.0%
Crude Fat (Min) 12.0%
Crude Fiber (Max) 5.0%
Moisture (Max) 12.0%
Linoleic Acid (Min) 1.6%
Calcium (Ca) (Min) 1.1%
Phosphorus (P) (Min) 0.9%
Iron (Fe) (Min) 250 mg/kg

Ingredients:
Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, soybean meal, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), pearled barley, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, animal digest, salt, egg product, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, zinc proteinate, choline chloride, DL-Methionine, vitamin supplements (E, A, B 12, D 3), manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, copper proteinate, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 2), niacin, brewers dried yeast, calcium pantothenate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.
0-4001

I don't like the looks of this list

Ok I know there are a ton of opinions but please give me yours! I want our little guy to be as healthy as possible and get a really great start as early as possible.
Mommy to Cabo
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

In my opinion, I would never feed my puppy Purina. I would not feed my dog Purina. It is not a good food and at least for my dogs, makes them ill.

I strongly recommend that you find an independent dog food store near you. They have many other types of healthy dogs foods like Canidae and Innova. Nature's Recipe and Nutro are some others that are good. Solid Gold, EVO, Wellness... the list goes on and on.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "Ok I know there are a ton of opinions but please give me yours!"
---

Purina is cheap junk food, and I wouldn't even use it as a compost pile ingredient. : )
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Susi...
let me tell you about Koda's experience with Purina products. In 2 words... they suck. LOL Really tho... Koda had been weaned on Purina One Lamb and Rice for puppies, which is supposed to be at least a little bit better than the regular Purina Puppy Chow. So of course when I got him, that's what I bought. On our first visit to the vet, we talked about his food, and Doc said Purina was OK, and to go ahead and use it, but to be prepared because chows usually develop allergies to corn and wheat and those are the fillers that Purina uses their foods. He said, Koda may be the exception to the rule, and if that's the case, that's fine. Use it unless we started having problems and would have to use a premium food for him. So that's what I fed him for awhile. Then after a couple of months I started noticing that Kodie was doing ALOT of itching and loosing massive amounts of hair balls around the house. Now in the 2 months time, I got alot of gentle warning from everyone here that I ought to switch him over to something else, but I didn't listen. So of course when Koda started the itching, I came here for help. And again, everyone suggested I switch his food. So I did. I knew the majority of people here fed their chows Nutro and were very happy with it, so that's what I opted for. I chose the Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice for puppies, and then eventually the formula for large breed puppies since Koda is such a moose and the vet estimates his adult weight at around 70-75 pounds and I wanted a slow growth formula because of his joints. After being on the Nutro totally for 2 weeks, the difference in him was like night and day. As it turns out, Koda has some bad allergy issues and the more we experiment, the more problems with things we find. I was doing a switch from the Nutro Lamb and Rice for Large breed puppies to their Controlled Growth formula for some variety for Kodie. The Controlled Growth formula has chicken in it and Koda has started doing the itching somewhat again. So we are back to the Lamb and Rice. I know Kiwani isn't totally sold on Nutro, because it is so high in Omega 6's which cause inflammation. But I know that Nutro has worked for Koda and now Molly is eating it too. Some chows have more problems with allergies than others, but for the most part, I know that most everyone who is feeding Nutro is happy with it. I do supplement Koda's diet with 2 Salmon oil capsules a day (for the Omega 3's)and one raw egg a week. And I have about decided that if I have something that is working for him, there is no sence in experimenting. He likes the Nutro and does well with the Lamb and Rice... so if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Molly's breeder sent me enough of the kibble she was on to comfortably make the switch over to Nutro for her. That was a joke. I mixed both foods and she ate around her food and ate the Nutro. After a day and a half of that (and no upset tummy or diarrhea by the way) I quit mixing it and just gave her Nutro. I wouldn't plan on Puppy Chow as a permanent food. I would buy a small amount and then a bag of whatever you decide to feed him, and do the switch over to something better than Purina. I've talked to alot of breeders who use Purina One and Purina Pro Plan and swear by it. But it definitly didn't do Koda any favors.
Nancy and Tai

TXSusiQ
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TXSusiQ »

Thank you!!!
Mommy to Cabo
Odessa's mum
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Odessa's mum »

I agree with Kiwani, Michele and Nancy. I tried Purina once on Odessa more because I had a coupon for a free bag and after the first day or two, Odessa refused to eat it. She was on Iams then but is now on Nutro and I have noticed she is much better on the Nutro, does not itch as much.
The dry flaky skin is also a lot better than it was and I would never try the Purina again for sure.
Maybe its ok for some dogs but not our beloved Chows 8)

Mildred
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

We started Special out on IAMS and quickly found out it isn't a healthy choice :D We've almost completely switched over to the Solid Gold Wolf King, which he loves. We stopped feeding him the IAMS altogether and started substituting that portion with brown rice. The rice is not as much of a hit as the solid gold! :wink: Good luck!
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

You know... I can remember when IAMS was supposed to be a great choice and premium dog food for dogs. AND you could only purchase it in specality pet strores. Once you could start purchasing IAMS in grocery stores and Wal-Mart, that told me IAMS may not be the best dog food around. I bought Sadie IAMS cat food and she only ate enough of it to ward off starvation. Now in all honesty, I do feed my cats Purina Indoor formula cat food. But Sadie was extremely picky about what she ate. One of my daughter's had picked up the Purina Indoor formula for her cat and he loved it. So she sent me some home to try for Miss Picky. Sadie ate it like I have never seen her eat anything before. Both she and Lucky love the Purina Indoor formula, so that's what I buy. But I never used IAMS for Sasha (I was uneducated back then and had no clue what was best for a chow) and she ate Wal-Mart's Old Roy and absolutely loved it. Thank goodness for chowchow.org and the vast amount of knowledge and experience with chows here. I have learned alot about taking care of Kodie here. I thought I'd have a good handle on taking care of Molly now that I was more educated. Yeah right. I feel like a beginner again with all of the posting about what I am experiencing with her now.
Nancy and Tai

goodas_AU
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by goodas_AU »

When we got tucker back in March they were feeding him wal-marts OL Roy.
Now that's crap!!!!! He was having about 6 bowel movements a day! Then he got diarrhea! I switched him over to Pedigree (that's what I use to feed Bear)
But the puppy mix is crap!! So we had to take him to the vets because of the diarrhea, he gave us some meds. and Medi-cal gastrointestinal food.Now I'm weaning off the Pedigree completely and onto Nutrition 1st. It's only been about a week or so and his coat looks so much better, he had alot of dandruff before now it's nice and shiney and his B/Ms are almost back to normal!

You are what you eat!

Leigh
In Loving Memory of my best friend in the world "BEAR" 1987-2002

Here's to new beginnings "Tucker"
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Purina sucks...since Darkwind has been having tummy problems because of the rimaydl, (which I'm never giving him again) someone brought me the Purina DN prescription dog food, even it's got salt and guar gum and some other stuff I don't like. And that's their BEST stuff...

And I'm convinced, that dogs and cats do not need corn in their food.

Nope get your puppy something better and get him switched over as soon as you can, he'll be healthier in the long run.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
sixchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sixchows »

Funny thing...I was feeding all 5 of my chows purina one. The "babies were raised on it with purina one puppy chow then on to purina one lamb and rice. I never really thought about it! After I joined here and started reading everyone's thoughts, I decided to give Nutro a try. Well like everyone said they dove on it like it was fresh meat! After using it now for a few months, their coats are much thicker and shinier. Their stools are smaller.
Koko the red female was always skinny but ate like crazy! My wife would say if anyone found her they'd think she was starving! Now she has filled out, her coat is much thicker, and she even has hairy feet! Her sister, Xena who was never as thin as her has also filled out and now has this thick heavy coat that you don't see on most females. The food also lasts much longer.
TXSusiQ
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TXSusiQ »

Off to find new food for me this weekend!

Only 2 weeks to prepare for bringing home puppy!
Mommy to Cabo
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I've got my two almost completely switched from Science Diet to Nutro Lamb and Rice. I took it very slow because Bear seems to have a sensitve tummy.
The commissary on base actually carries a couple types of Nutro so I'm able to buy it for a few dollars cheaper than at Petsmart or Petco. I've also put in a special request to stock some of the Nutro treats. Sometimes the military does have good benefits. :wink:
A new Petco just opened on Bandera and 1604 and they carry a large selection of Nutro products. They also have a treat bar (similar to a salad bar) and charge by the pound. I buy a few veggie treats once in a while - they look like large Froot Loops.
“No one appreciates the special genius of your conversation like a dog does”...Christopher Morley
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

I saw a big difference in Koda's coat once I switched him over to Nutro also. Like I said before, I do know I am going to have to stick with the Lamb and Rice for him, but that's ok. I was buying Koda's Nutro at Petsmart... but that meant a 45 minute drive into Springfield to get dog food. Then I found out that the Big R (a farm and tractor supply place) in the town that I work in, carries Nutro products, for 3.00 to 4.00 cheaper on the 20.00 bag and about 5.00 cheaper on the 40.00 bags than Petsmart and I didn't have the 45 minute drive to get it. Not commisary prices, but these days every little bit helps, especially with the price of gas these days. So now I can just stop in on my way home from work and pick up dog food when we need it and don't have to plan a trip into town for a dog food run. I loved those military benefits too when I first got married.
I know Koda and Sam's dogs stools changed also... both in size and times per day. All 3 dogs eat it well (if I can just get them to stick to their own food) and they seem to be doing great on it.
2 weeks Susi... it seems endless, doesn't it?
Nancy and Tai

Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Lily started on iams, and at that time, Pip ate Science Diet. We went with Nature's Recipe Puppy when Lily wouldn't stop scratching, and later, I attempted to put Pip on NR old dog forula, but she had gastric upset, and neither dog would eat the food. Not knowing if it was bad feed or the formula itself, I bought Pip Nutro Natural balance, which both dogs prefered the taste of over Nature's Recipe Puppy. Now, both are eating Nuto's Natural Balance. It's been a couple days of strictly Nutro, and all is well, gastrically speaking.