Nutro Holistic Senior or just another food topic.

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Nutro Holistic Senior or just another food topic.

Post by Jeff&Peks »

That was a Joke, But last night I Bought Pekoe a bag of Nutro Holistic, Senior along with 2 of her normal Lamb and rice, She ate the senior last night and this morning, She has been at full speed all day today even though its been getting hot, Chasing every critter in sight, playing and running around the house and now outside at 10:00 Pm barking and running around the yard trying to get us to come outside, She is usually asleep by now. The last few weeks she has been sort of chasing rabbits and cats but kind of heading toward them but stopping if they ran. She hasn't been her normal spunky self the last few weeks, alot of sleeping and mopping around I thought it might be the heat. today its been full speed chasing them all the way, she almost caught 2 of them. I haven't seen this much action in months. Don't know if its the food or she was just having a good day today.

Pekoe goes in for another Cancer vaccine tomorrow, think she has 3 shots to go. I was talking to these 2 ladies both their dogs had cancer, one was a Chow with the same oral cancer Pekoe has, she got the 8 vaccine series then stopped, the cancer came back after a year so now she is starting again the other lady got the 8 series vaccine but then kept bringing her dog (non-Chow) in every 6 months for a shot she is going on 2 and a half years with no sign of cancer, so I guess its bring Pekoe in every few months for a shot.
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brisco »

Hopefully after the next 3 shots Pekoe will over it for good too, Fingers crossed. Our pets are our kids and I can only imagine how bad it would be if one of them were sick. I'm glad to hear that She is coming good.
No matter where you go, there you are.
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Wow! Sounds like a great food! :wink: Wonder what's in there! She sounds like she had a great time yesterday.

That's really interesting about the shots, it sounds like it's a really wonderful thing. How often does Pekoe go now for the shots?
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

I saw the Nutro Holistic at Petsmart and seriously considered buying it for Koda. They also have it at the Big R that I now buy their food at while I am in Taylorville for work instead of driving 45 minutes into Springfield to Petsmart or Petco. There is no way Big R will do it, but I sure wish Petsmart or Petco did the sample thing. I'd really like to see if Koda would eat it. I would think the holistic would be better for them (Kiwani, if you read this, what do you think?) and if it is, would like to try it for Koda. But... I bought the Nutro Holistic treats for puppies for Koda a coule of months ago and the box is still sitting on the fridge. Koda isn't really fond of any of the Nutro snacks anyway, but will eat the Lamb and Rice if that's all he's offered. Everytime I tried the Holistic treat, he sniffed it and walked away. Wouldn't even take it in his mouth and then drop it and walk away like he does with the other Nutro snacks. Even Sam who will inhale anything you give to him, won't touch the Nutro holistic snacks. That tells me they aren't too appealing. So I kind of wonder how appealing the dog food is. I take it Pekoe liked it? I hate buying dog food they won't eat. I know I can take it back or donate it to one of the shelters or rescues here, but I just go ahead and buy what I know they will eat. When I was picking out a food for Miss Molly, I was tempted to get the holistic for her, but went with the regular lamb and rice for puppies instead. I guess we could do what Jeff and Pekoe do and just open a bag and let Koda taste test. LOL But knowing my luck, we'd be the ones who would get caught. :)
I'm sorry to hear Pekoe hasn't been as energetic as she used to be. Besides her age, Her Majesty has been through alot on the last few months and I am sure that will take it's toll on her also. I am still hoping for a total complete recovery for Pekoe. She'll always be our heroine here. :)
Nancy and Tai

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I have switched alot between Nutro Products, I usually buy the normal lamb and rice then a bag of what ever else they have out then change every few days, Pekoe eats it all, she doesn't really like Nutro treats either but I do give her a Nutro tarter control biscuit every morning. Compared to the junk treats hanging in the treat isle I don't think any of the Chows would go for the healthy biscuits, Nutro, Science diet or some of the others, of course they would rather have the Junk foods, Pekoe loves Beggin strips, they look like bacon but I'm sure they are filled with all kinds of junk.

With the shots, it starts out Once a week for four weeks then either every other week or once a month, Pekoes last four are once a month, she has 2 left.
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

That's what Koda does too. Give him the treats that aren't good for him anytime. I have basically given up buying treats for him. We have such a tough time with allergies and inflammitories (the entropion in his left eye), that I really have to be careful with what we give to him. I do give him treats occassionally, the bad ones. We can't give Sam one and not Koda. But they are few and far between. He was getting unseasoned deer jerky and absolutely loved it... even more so than the chicken jerky he likes so well and obviously doesn't get much of because of the itching. He ran out of the deer jerky, so I need to get Matt to bring home some more. Matt had brought home deer salami and gave a huge roll of it to my neighbor. This is how spoiled and loved Koda is, by everyone. Koda of course does not do people well... IF you are lucky you get a quick sniff and maybe a kiss on the hand, and if you are really lucky, Koda will let you pat him on the head. Terry tried for months to get Koda to let Terry pet him. Enter deer salami. Terry would share with Koda and Koda has gotten to the point that he walks next door to Terry's, they open their door and Koda walks in, and Terry will give him a piece of deer salami. He doesn't give him much because of the seasonings and the salt, but Koda has learned that if you try to be a little social, there is a favored snack for it. That's the one thing I will miss when we move. Everyone here is so good with Koda and they love him. :(
Nancy and Tai