Solid Gold Question.

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Solid Gold Question.

Post by TJordan »

We slowly and I mean very slowly switched Butters over to Solid Gold Wolf King. We did the switch because he was having runny poo or mush poo constantly. I was told that maybe the fat % in Innova (regular) was too high and causing this. So I compared and Wolf king has about 5-6% less fat. So the switch was on. Now his poo is more solid but not everyday. It seems some days are normal and some are a little runny (though not as runny as it was previously). But now the gas is horrible!! YUCK. Anybody else feed solid gold have horrible gas issues?

Any advice on the poo issue. He is on probiotics because without them it is really runny. I am sort of at a loss right now.
SweetPea Rocks!!
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Solid Gold Question.

Post by Red Dragon »

Everything you are describing says the food is wrong for the dog, and you need to get him off of it. It can be the best food on the planet(according to some), but if you are having those problems it isn't doing him any good, in fact it is doing harm. I could tell you what to feed him, but it would just start another food fight.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Sam you are right we don't want to start a food fight. But the problem is, it is every food he has had so far.
SweetPea Rocks!!
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

You are listening to the wrong people for your food selection, been there and done that.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Not to hawk my own brand, but Pip and Lily both hated Wolf King, and they were both a mess, poo-wise. You can read my entire trial and tribulation on Chris's Beneful post. Anyway, I was using Nutro, and switched to Nature's Recipe Venison and Rice formula. They love it, it is designed for sensitive skin. They like the Farmer Stand blend too, except the carrots. I do not recommend Nature's Recipe Lamb and Rice, however. I don't know what it is about that blend, but mine hated it. It sounds like our Chows have similar pre-dispositions where food is involved, that is why I thought to recommend it. Get a 5 pound bag, you may see immediate results, let us know.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

now that I am unable to make home made food for my 3, I feed them nothing but Solid Gold Hundenflocken and I love it.
None of them have gas...ever. It takes approximately 3 to 4 months for the digestive system to
fully acclimate to a food change.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Maybe Butters is sensitive to Beef or Buffalo/Bison. Try the Hundenflocken, it's lamb and fish. I can try to get you samples if you want to try and see if Butters will even taste it. The pet store I buy their food had samples out today but by tomorrow it will probably be all gone. Just PM me if you want me to get you some sample packets. The trio also eat Avoderm. I'm trying to bulk up the Bru. He's a slender fellow. And Tiggy's coat shines when he's on the Avoderm. No gas. I add BG canned tripe to Miss PB's meal. Not as smelly as Solid Gold's Green Tripe.

Which brands of food have you tried with Butters?
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Hey girls thanks for the replys. So far Butters has been on Evo, Regular Innova and now Solid Gold Wolf King. Everything was good on Evo except the runny bums. His allergies were all but gone and his coat was fabulous. Regular Innova still runny bums. Now Wolf King, more solid than before but not where I think his poo should be. Becoming a poo expert!!

I will look around here for the Hundenflocken stuff, I don't remember seeing any though. But the place that has the Wolf King might have the other. If you are out and about and find a sample I would certainly give it a shot.

He has now been on solid gold for about 4-5 months. Perhaps I should give it a while longer, although his paw chewing is back to an all time high on the Wolf King. It seems I can't please his tummy and allergies. It is like a puzzle.
SweetPea Rocks!!
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Okay. Tomorrow I'll go and see if they still have samples and will send it to you. I don't know which kind of Evo he was on but I think Butters might have a beef or bison/buffalo intolerance? My Zhuyo, who was also a cream male, was sensitive to beef - even with raw hides, which put an end to that kind of chew treat early on. He would get hot spots pretty quickly too - lick, lick, lick, hot spot! Or maybe it's the fish - both Evo and Innova and SG have fish in them. I've read here about poop explosions after a tin of sardines! I wouldn't push the Wolf King on him too much if his poop is still goupy after 4 months and he's starting to lick his paws. Then again, the fellow has to eat!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

On top of that he is super finiky. I have tried other things in the past (too many to count) and he wouldn't touch them. Let me think. He does ok with his sardines. Nothing big happens when he eats them. Usually about once a week he gets sardines. I never thought about beef/bison issues. I do believe the only evo I could get here was the turkey mix. I couldn't ever find the beef formula around here.
SweetPea Rocks!!
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Also, when you are trying to acclamate Butters to new food, put on some salmon oil, that tends to make the food smell and taste delicous and it's great for their coat and digestive systems.
Mia
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Good advice mia, but he won't eat his food if there is a liquid on it. I have tried it. Not even a dallop of yogurt. Very finiky. #-o He will eat the yogurt mixed with the salmon oil in seperate bowl but not on his kibble. :roll:
SweetPea Rocks!!
sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdasilva27 »

Have you tried blue's fish and sweet potato? Kenzie loves it. I decided to try her on that when I couldn't find any solid gold around here and she ate but didn't seem to like the nutro. The nutro gave her constipation also. Maybe the nutro will make it more solid since it constipated her? I'm not sure but we're very happy with blue. She'll eat the other flavors but really likes the fish the best. She also gets a fish oil capsule every morning for her coat/skin, I doubt that it'll help Butters' paws but you could always try it if he'll take and swallow the pill. Kenzie loves hers and thinks it's the best treat ever. She'll do tricks for it that she won't even do for chicken breast chunks!

Please let us know how Butters ends up doing (with whatever you decide)...