Chicken Jerky Treats--FDA Warning

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Kris L. Christine
Rank 1
Rank 1

Chicken Jerky Treats--FDA Warning

Post by Kris L. Christine »

PERMISSION TO CROSS-POST
U.S. Government Publications are NOT Copyrighted

http://www.fda.gov/cvm/CVM_Updates/Comp ... cJerky.htm

Preliminary Animal Health Notification

December 19, 2008

FDA Continues To Receive Complaints about Chicken Jerky Products for Dogs and Cautions Consumers

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) continues to caution consumers of a potential association between the development of illness in dogs and the consumption of chicken jerky products also described as chicken tenders, strips or treats. FDA continues to receive complaints of dogs experiencing illness that their owners or veterinarians associate with consumption of chicken jerky products. The chicken jerky products are imported to the U.S. from China. FDA issued a cautionary warning to consumers in September 2007.

Australian news organizations report the University of Sydney is also investigating an association between illness in dogs and the consumption of chicken jerky in Australia. At least one firm in Australia has recalled their chicken jerky product and the recall notification stated the chicken jerky product was manufactured in China.

FDA believes the continued trend of consumer complaints coupled with the information obtained from Australia warrants an additional reminder and animal health notification.

Chicken jerky products should not be substituted for a balanced diet and are intended to be
used occasionally and in small quantities. Owners of small dogs must be especially careful to limit the amount of these products.

FDA, in addition to several veterinary diagnostic laboratories in the U.S, is working to determine why these products are associated with illness in dogs. To date, scientists have not been able to determine a definitive cause for the reported illnesses. FDA has conducted extensive chemical and microbial testing but has not identified any contaminant.

FDA is advising consumers who choose to feed their dogs chicken jerky products to watch their dogs closely for any or all of the following signs which may occur within hours to days of feeding the product: decreased appetite, although some may continue to consume the treats to the exclusion of other foods; decreased activity; vomiting; diarrhea, sometimes with blood; and increased water consumption and/or increased urination. If the dog shows any of these signs, stop feeding the chicken jerky product. Owners should consult their veterinarian if signs are severe or persist for more than 24 hours. Blood tests may indicate kidney failure (increased urea nitrogen and creatinine). Urine tests may indicate Fanconi syndrome (increased glucose). Although most dogs appear to recover, some reports to the FDA have involved dogs that have died.

The FDA continues to actively investigate the problem. Many of the illnesses reported may be the result of causes other than eating chicken jerky. Veterinarians and consumers alike should report cases of animal illness associated with pet foods to the FDA Consumer Complaint Coordinator http://www.fda.gov/opacom/backgrounders/complain.html in their state.

Web page updated by hd - December 19, 2008, 1:12 PM ET
Kris L. Christine
Founder, Co-Trustee
THE RABIES CHALLENGE FUND
http://www.RabiesChallengeFund.org
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Chicken Jerky Treats--FDA Warning

Post by Dogdad »

thank you I used to get these for the dogs, until My cocker Aldo began throwing up and having seizures
Kris L. Christine
Rank 1
Rank 1

Yes, we had started giving some of these to Butter for training purposes, and he developed a baffling health issue right afterwards, which we are still trying to get a grip on. The dog boutique we bought them from refuses to take them off the shelf because the FDA notice doesn't name specific brands!

Buyers beware!
Kris L. Christine
Founder, Co-Trustee
THE RABIES CHALLENGE FUND
http://www.RabiesChallengeFund.org
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

I use the Dogswell treats, are those the one you are talking about?
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

We use the same ones sean, I wonder how we can find a list of brands?
SweetPea Rocks!!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I believe that this FDA warning applies to all chicken jerky coming from China... I could be wrong though. Dogswell is made in China according to the bag I saw Tam.
Thank you Elodie!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Sojourner11 wrote:I use the Dogswell treats, are those the one you are talking about?
There are hundreds of Chicken jerky brands I use Dogswell Chiciken strips (Happy Hips) also when I read that a few months ago I switched to duck but i'm back to Chcken just bought my 2nd bag the other day. Speaking of Dogswell that stuff is expensive i'm paying $35 a bag.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Thanks Layla. I was afraid of that. Those are his favorites.
SweetPea Rocks!!
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

We also use the chicken jerky treats and i was reading labels and all brands at one store were made in China so yes...beware. It says right on the package where they are made for each brand.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Kris L. Christine
Rank 1
Rank 1

Yes, we were feeding Butter the Dogswell mini treats (very expensive). I couldn't believe it when I checked the back of the label and saw that they were "Made in China".
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

I was hesitant about giving them out when I saw the "Made in China" on the back of the bag, but so far no ill effects. They sell them in Whole Foods so I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

Jeff, I also found them in Pet Supermarket for about 15 bux a bag.
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I feed mine Happy Hips and Vitality chicken strips and haven't had any bad effects so far. I hate to give them up since my pack loves them so much. Sammy won't even eat the treat that everyone gets in the morning anymore...she insists on getting chicken strips instead. What Sammy wants, Sammy gets. :wink: They also like the sweet potato with chicken from Dogswell.

I pay $5.49 for the 6 oz bags at the commissary. I can also get them at the petstore down the street where I get a 10% discount. If I paid $35 a bag, I'd be in the poor house by now. ouch
Kris L. Christine
Rank 1
Rank 1

Fillyok,

The Dogswell chicken treats are Made in China -- check the back of the label.

Kris
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I know that and I said my pack hasn't had any bad side-effects. The package also says cage-free.