Puppy Food

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

TXSusiQ
Rank 1
Rank 1

Puppy Food

Post by TXSusiQ »

ok the checks been sent and our new puppy is coming home at the end of May

What food do you recommend? I'm not sure what the breeder is feeding them - I will check on that but did any of you change what the breeder started them on to something different?

Thanks!
Mom to be!
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Reading through various posts, I believe just about everyone have changed for one reason or another(allergies, quality, etc). The popular choice on this board is Nutro Lamb & Rice, am I correct, everyone? The good thing about Nutro is that it is widely available, too. Other choices are Solid Gold, Innova, Candie. I have a 6.5m/s old who started w/ Eukanuba Puppy Kibbles, Mighty Dog Beef Canned,+ Cottage Cheese at the breeders. For Kibbles, I went thru Nutro, Innova, Solid Gold, Wellness, which she was on for longest, and now Innova again. The last change came about because she had UTI, and another board member mentioned of a possible link btw Wellness & UTI that went on in another board. I surfed a bit but couldn't find the said other board to confirm this. But changed anyway....

Take a look at the ingredients, esp the first 5. Stay away from corn or wheat fillers, meat-byproducts. You don't want any food w/ sudden sugar charge after a meal. Also Chows can have allergies to Beef, Chicken, etc. Any change over should be SLOW. Take a week or two, gradually add new food and slowiy increase the portion.

But initially, until about a month after you get him, I think it is better to keep him on what he is used to. The poor baby have enough change to cope with in his environment.

Good Luck and Enjoy the puppy :D LEO(LEOnora) & mum
PS: You can also look up past articles re food using the search button :wink:
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I've switched from Science Diet to Nutro Lamb and Rice (little bits). I mixed them at first so there wasn't a drastic change. You can also go to the Nutro website and sign up for a free coupon packet. I like to stick with Nutro treats/biscuits, as well.
“No one appreciates the special genius of your conversation like a dog does”...Christopher Morley
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

I don't know about what's best for puppies, but like you've seen a lot of people feed Nutro, Innova or Solid Gold. We've just started the switch to Solid Gold Wolf King... from IAMS. We love it so far (so does Special Dark! :wink:) Good luck!