orijen puppy food for large breeds!

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

donnateo
Rank 0
Rank 0

orijen puppy food for large breeds!

Post by donnateo »

Hi all! Im new to this site and have just bought my very first chow chow ASIA! She is adorable and full of fun and games. I am thinking of weening her to another food. She is currently being fed on james wellbeloved but her poops are more like cow pats! I spent a full night yesterday researching in to various different dog foods. James well beloved came with quite alot of bad press, but also some good. It gave me a massive headache trying to choose a food to try asia out with. After constant reviewing most brands i like the sound of orijen! I have ordered some sample bags as tasters! What im looking for mainly is your opinions and experience! I do understand that every dogs pallets and digestive systems are different just like us, but iwas wondering wether i was going in the right direction with the orijen!
Would appreciate any opinions for and against to broaden my knowledge further!
Kind regards Donna x
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: orijen puppy food for large breeds!

Post by CoraP. »

I have never tried Orijen, but have heard good things about it. I have fed mine Wellness, Drs. Foster and Smith, Flint River, and Natural Balance. Good luck with your baby! We love pictures!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
donnateo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by donnateo »

Thanks for the reply i have been tryin to figure out the picture part if you could assist me i would be very gratefull!
donnateo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by donnateo »

i hop ethis works this is ASIA! at 5 weeks old!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Yes, it worked! Asia is a little darling!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
aware
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aware »

she is very adorable!

I have not tried Orijen. I switched from Wellness to Solid Gold recently. The Wellness seemed to be too high in protein, soft stools and the main protein source is chicken which I am thinking that one of mine has an allergy to. Solid Gold Wolf King has a good amount of protein, the main protein source is bison.
NanouetJon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NanouetJon »

Has anyone tried the Solid Gold puppy?

Maddoxx is on Royal Canine Medium Puppy. OK.. but urine is very strong odor which means too much protein.
donnateo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by donnateo »

sorry i cant assist you on this but i am in the process of trying out a few different puppy foods starting with the orijen and have solid gold also in mind!
leisa75
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by leisa75 »

Save your money Orijen is not worth it at all. I fed it to my 2 chows for almost 8 months and switched back to Nutro lamb and rice kibbles. The orijen is not all they say it is !! My chows coats were terrible, they had bald spots about 2 weeks after i switched them back to the Nutro there coats starting looking better. There coats are in awesome shape now theyv'e been back on Nutro for over a year now !!
thanks sweetpea
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

That's very very odd because Orijen is a premium quality, food and Nutro is a low end food so what you're saying really doesn't make much sense. Another reason to not ever feed Nutro products is that the food still contains menadione which has been on the not wanted list for over 5 years now and is proven linked to liver cancer in dogs.

MM
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Guess it depends on what your reading, I have read Orijen is a lower quality food and Nutro is better, As for cancer causing Nutro is highly recommended by Oncologist and Nutritionist, Pekoe's main Oncologists feeds her 2 dogs Nutro. When Pekoe got cancer the first thing I was going to do and expected I would have to do is take her off Nutro but Nope, keep her on it. As for causing Cancer, Everything causes cancer, raw meat causes cancer. There is nothing you can eat, drink or breath that dosn't cause cancer.

Orijuen, Inova and wolf king are good foods but if its to rich or causes skin problems with Chows then its not good food no matter who makes it. Millions of People feed Iams but apeerantly something in it is bad for Chows skin, I tried one cup of Innova with Pekoe then tried wolf king just as an added treat both times mixed with Nutro. she had runs for two days and started itching. As usual the ones that are switching food all the time are the ones having problems. Pick one food and stick with it even if it is Raw, wet, kibble, Purina, table scraps or wal-mart .

All higher grade foods are good it just depends on who spends the most for advertisments
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

I don't know where you read what you read but Orijen is a grainless food without any chemical addivites and that's certainly not the case with Nutro, which is constructed with very low quality ingredients. Just read the bag.

Orijen
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food ... oduct/1137

Nutro
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food ... 87&cat=all
Insufficient meat content, mixed quality ingredients, controversial filler, fat of unidentifiable origin
No disrespect intended but Oncologist are not nutritionalists and if they were I seriously doubt they'd recommend any food that contains components known as carcinogens.
Cheers
MM
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

As I said its all in what you read.

They use irradiation on their food. The same thing the China chicken producers do. Orijen has been recalled in Australia due to sick pets. It also contained Zea Mays (corn silk) while maintaining it was grain free. They finally decided to remove it so new bags should reflect this. Look it up. I guess some people will buy the most expensive food thinking it's the best but alot of the price increase is due to shipping from Canada. Evo being 50 bucks a bag makes me wonder why Orijen is listed at $73 on this site. Thats just insane.

The probiotics they use are not live. Its just fermentation product. Other true premium foods use direct fed microbials since for microorganisms to be effective they need to be alive! You can read a bit about probiotics in dog food here: http://www.admani.com/AllianceAnimalHealth/Tech%20B ulletins/Direct%20Fed%20Microbials.htm I guess I was just disappointed after reading these reviews and having it turn out my dog didn't like the taste, they use corn product, the food has been recalled, pets got sick, and they use microorganisms that are crust instead of alive. Ah well, whatever works though.

Orijen

2nd bag of the Orijen had large fish bones in it big enough to damage my dogs gums or throat. Some were like toothpicks going through the middle of the kibble. When I called they said they had a bad batch with too big of screens for the dog food to filter through and then she asked what kind of dogs and whe I told her she replied that "they are big dogs and inhale their food any way" Global Pet foods where I bought it took the bag back and they were shocked at what they saw. It was throughout the food all the way to the bottom.
Switched back to Evo and Wellness core at least they control the dog food and how it is cooked and processed. I will never buy another bag especially after the ignorant woman they use to deal with complaints.

Buyer Beware....Look at the contents when you open the bag in case you get a bad batch!!!!

Tried to be a "good parent" & switch my Westie puppy over from the "horrible" Puppy Chow to Orijen... did not work for him at all. It gave him really dark,smelly, loose stool and he was pooping constantly. He also seemed a lot hungrier than before and would actually try to eat his stool- something he never attempted while on Puppy Chow! I've switched him back to Chow... he's almost 1 year now and is thriving!
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

I would love to give you an answer since I have done hours and hours and hours of research and have agonized over the best food. Jeff has a point, once you find one stay with it - less stress for the chow. The bad part is that I would hate to have chosen a food with a problem and stay with it and not realize that it wasn't so good until it was too late.

The thing is that everyone says, "you are what you eat" and I am sure that must apply to chows as well.
The only way to be sure is to feed a proper raw diet - but that's hard to do. (Well, ok, hard when you travel for business.)

After months and months of worrying, I finally realized that so many people here have had the same issues and I decided to choose one of the many popular ones on here - Solid Gold, Nutro, etc. If you like Orajen - try it and if it seems to work - stick with it.

I then try to make sure that all or MOST of the treats I give them are organic, people grade, non wheat, non corn etc. - just a few a day - not too many.
NO BAD PEOPLE FOOD (like fries, burgers etc.)

Very fresh water - changed often.

I try to make sure that they eat the same food consistantly. In the wild - they eat sporatically and differently, but they also don't live as long. So, it seems that they live better eating proper nutrition consistantly.

Just my two cents. LOL! I hope I helped a little.
Mia
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Merlin wrote:I don't know where you read what you read but Orijen is a grainless food without any chemical addivites and that's certainly not the case with Nutro, which is constructed with very low quality ingredients. Just read the bag.

Orijen
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food ... oduct/1137

Nutro
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food ... 87&cat=all
Insufficient meat content, mixed quality ingredients, controversial filler, fat of unidentifiable origin
No disrespect intended but Oncologist are not nutritionalists and if they were I seriously doubt they'd recommend any food that contains components known as carcinogens.
Cheers
MM
Geezz, I really wish people would quit depending on the Dog Food Analysis page for their choice in dog food, those people haven't tested anything and half the stuff they say is good for a dog is just the opposite. The only way to know if a food is good is to try it, I've tried many brands over the years and some of the ones they say are the best on that site are the absolute worst foods I have ever used, and some they say aren't good are the best foods I have fed. I wish the food companies would take out a class action lawsuit against that site and shut it down!
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Jeff&Peks wrote:As I said its all in what you read.

They use irradiation on their food. The same thing the China chicken producers do. Orijen has been recalled in Australia due to sick pets. It also contained Zea Mays (corn silk) while maintaining it was grain free. They finally decided to remove it so new bags should reflect this. Look it up. I guess some people will buy the most expensive food thinking it's the best but alot of the price increase is due to shipping from Canada. Evo being 50 bucks a bag makes me wonder why Orijen is listed at $73 on this site. Thats just insane.

The probiotics they use are not live. Its just fermentation product. Other true premium foods use direct fed microbials since for microorganisms to be effective they need to be alive! You can read a bit about probiotics in dog food here: http://www.admani.com/AllianceAnimalHealth/Tech%20B ulletins/Direct%20Fed%20Microbials.htm I guess I was just disappointed after reading these reviews and having it turn out my dog didn't like the taste, they use corn product, the food has been recalled, pets got sick, and they use microorganisms that are crust instead of alive. Ah well, whatever works though.

Orijen

2nd bag of the Orijen had large fish bones in it big enough to damage my dogs gums or throat. Some were like toothpicks going through the middle of the kibble. When I called they said they had a bad batch with too big of screens for the dog food to filter through and then she asked what kind of dogs and whe I told her she replied that "they are big dogs and inhale their food any way" Global Pet foods where I bought it took the bag back and they were shocked at what they saw. It was throughout the food all the way to the bottom.
Switched back to Evo and Wellness core at least they control the dog food and how it is cooked and processed. I will never buy another bag especially after the ignorant woman they use to deal with complaints.

Buyer Beware....Look at the contents when you open the bag in case you get a bad batch!!!!

Tried to be a "good parent" & switch my Westie puppy over from the "horrible" Puppy Chow to Orijen... did not work for him at all. It gave him really dark,smelly, loose stool and he was pooping constantly. He also seemed a lot hungrier than before and would actually try to eat his stool- something he never attempted while on Puppy Chow! I've switched him back to Chow... he's almost 1 year now and is thriving!
"Tried to be a "good parent" & switch my Westie puppy over from the "horrible" Puppy Chow to Orijen... did not work for him at all. It gave him really dark,smelly, loose stool and he was pooping constantly. He also seemed a lot hungrier than before and would actually try to eat his stool- something he never attempted while on Puppy Chow! I've switched him back to Chow... he's almost 1 year now and is thriving"

That's pretty darn bad when Puppy Chow beats out a "so called" "premium food", it just goes to show that all these designer foods aren't worth the stuff they are made of. People have to learn the hard way though, they won't listen to someone with experience. \:D/
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

My point was no matter how many people say a certain type of food is the best you will find just as many people saying its bad it dosn't matter who makes it or what its made from. No matter what kind of food it is or who it is made by you can find post that says the same food killed thier dog. Like you said a few times, you can't go by Internet rating serveys there is no way in hell that these people have tried all these foods or even know what most of the ingredians are except for what it says on the labels and even the labels don't really say anyihing except its the finist ingredents there are. No one has tried a Mcdonalds or taco bell diet on thier Chows so we can't keep saying that a burrito or a Quarter pounder with cheese is bad for Chows, Pekoe would have no problem eating a Happy meal but I know she wouldn't play with the toy so its a waste of money.

ImageImage
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

This is where ignorance is so harmful.
The use of irradiation is uniquely done by import customs in Australia.
It isn't done anywhere else and ALL dog foods entering Australia are irradiated not just Orijen.

MM
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

I tried to post this yesterday but was having trouble.
I would love to give you an answer since I have done hours and hours and hours of research and have agonized over the best food. Jeff has a point, once you find one stay with it - less stress for the chow. The bad part is that I would hate to have chosen a food with a problem and stay with it and not realize that it wasn't so good until it was too late.

The thing is that everyone says, "you are what you eat" and I am sure that must apply to chows as well.
The only way to be sure is to feed a proper raw diet - but that's hard to do. (Well, ok, hard when you travel for business.)

After months and months of worrying, I finally realized that so many people here have had the same issues and I decided to choose one of the many popular ones on here - Solid Gold, Nutro, etc. If you like Orajen - try it and if it seems to work - stick with it.

I then try to make sure that all or MOST of the treats I give them are organic, people grade, non wheat, non corn etc. - just a few a day - not too many.
NO BAD PEOPLE FOOD (like fries, burgers etc.)

Very fresh water - changed often.

I try to make sure that they eat the same food consistantly. In the wild - they eat sporatically and differently, but they also don't live as long. So, it seems that they live better eating proper nutrition consistantly.

Just my two cents. LOL! I hope I helped a little.
Mia
leisa75
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by leisa75 »

Okay so how is Nutro( Natural Choice Lamb and Rice) a cheap food its 64.99 a bag ? Works awesome for my dogs !!! I've tried the Orijen and got bad results from It!!!
thanks sweetpea
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Who said Nutro was cheap but if your buying it from Petco you can get it cheaper everywhere else. If you have a healthypet food store around they are cheaper then all the stores by a couple of dollars with all thier food and they only carry the supposedly good food,

I've said this before but Petco is more expensive with everything in thier store not just food.

ImageImage
leisa75
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by leisa75 »

Merlin wrote:That's very very odd because Orijen is a premium quality, food and Nutro is a low end food so what you're saying really doesn't make much sense. Another reason to not ever feed Nutro products is that the food still contains menadione which has been on the not wanted list for over 5 years now and is proven linked to liver cancer in dogs.

MM
I was referring to this post !!!
thanks sweetpea
leisa75
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by leisa75 »

Jeff&Peks wrote:Who said Nutro was cheap but if your buying it from Petco you can get it cheaper everywhere else. If you have a healthypet food store around they are cheaper then all the stores by a couple of dollars with all thier food and they only carry the supposedly good food,

I've said this before but Petco is more expensive with everything in thier store not just food.
Sry !! I was just trying to say that I've tried the Orijen on my chows and it didn't work for them I think it has to much pretein for the chow!! I'm no expert just a buyer. My dogs love the Nutro (natural choice lamb and rice kibbles) and there coats are stunning ! When they were eatin gthe Orijen my boy lost so much hair he had bald spots and both of ther coats were awful to touch and then the skin problems started, I switched them back to what I fed my other 2 chows befor they passed away and wow no problems !! I also give them a scoop of Nutro ( Natural Choice lamd and rice soft food as well ) on there crunchie food !! I guess everyone has different thoughts !!!
thanks sweetpea
leisa75
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by leisa75 »

Merlin wrote:That's very very odd because Orijen is a premium quality, food and Nutro is a low end food so what you're saying really doesn't make much sense. Another reason to not ever feed Nutro products is that the food still contains menadione which has been on the not wanted list for over 5 years now and is proven linked to liver cancer in dogs.

MM
What I'm saying does make sense ??? Why?? Orijen is not worth it !! I switched to it because I wanted to feed my chows the best and when they were on Orijen there hair was falling out there coats were in terrible shape !! I dont think the food is all its cracked up to be !!! I fed Nutro ( natural Choice Lamb and Rice) to my 2 chows that have since passed away, so I switched my 3 chows that I have now back to the Nutro !! And know there coats are stunning once again !! I guess different dogs get different results !! I'm just a buyer who wants the best for her dogs !!

There is not much of a price difference between a big bag or Orijen and a big bag of Nutro .... :?:
thanks sweetpea