Is this true?

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Diana
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is this true?

Post by Diana »

It was recently told to me that chows are more adapted to eating grains and grasses, yet the skull of a chow still looks very wolflike, albeit a lot shorter. My curiosity is piqued so I'd love to know if there is information out there regarding this. I've always understood it that dogs in general are carnivores (not obligate), able to survive on omnivorous diets but only thrive on meat-based diets as they possess the entire digestive tract of a carnivore. I find it interesting that the chow is proposed to be fundamentally different. In any case, I'd love information on this!
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Is this true?

Post by Mia »

I have read about the fact that in China they did not have access to a lot of extra meat to feed the chows, so they fed them rice/grains. They did this to fatten them up to eat.

Now, I have done a ton a research and have come to the conclusion that if chows have been fed grains for centuries (as has been told) then perhaps they have become accustomed to less meat - as a breed. It's so hard to say. On the other hand, since my two chows have been in the US for several generations (I assume, because I really don't know), maybe they had become accustomed to dog food with meat.

I cannot tell you how many chow books I have read and how much online research I have done trying to find out exactly what would be the best type of diets to feed my babies. And, after reading everything I can get my hands on, I have absolutely no conclusions. I have asked every breeder I can find and have gotten no answers.

I have even read about dogs in general, not chows. And, I have tried to research what dogs would have eaten in the wild. That doesn't help either, because I believe that chows in the wild would not live nearly as long as chows that are in captivity, so to speak, or taken care of and being fed nutritious food.

So, after all that - I have no answers at all. LOL!

But, I am so interested in gaining some info on this - as even the breeders I speak to don't seem too interested in this.

If anyone has any other ideas, I would love to hear them.
Mia
Diana
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Diana »

I don't think chows would live in the wild very long because they're not a natural breed. Some of them are very typey and I think those dogs would have problems. As to the diet of grain, I question whether they thrived on it or if they just survived on it. We can feed pigs the scraps of scraps and they survive just fine, but I think if you give a pig a PROPER diet, you'll notice a difference. I do believe that maybe the dogs will have sensitivities to meat if not accustomed to it and that's entirely different than being better able to handle grain as a whole. I have no doubt that a dog can survive on grain. It's certainly cheaper to feed grain. But I think aside from an individual digestive system unused to grain, getting a chow on a meat-based diet would be better.

Anyone else? This is very interesting. :)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Chows do very well in the wild they are natural born hunters and on their own can do very well. they are the hardest breed to catch, if they get lost they can live on the streets and woods for years on their own hoping their owner will turn up some time.We have had a few that were rescued that were living on their own for 2 + years. they may look like fufu dogs but when it gets down to them becoming self survivors Chows can outlast any breed. Human intervention is the only thing that will bring a Chow down.

I think a Chow is at thier best when out doors and allowed to be a Chow.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Diana
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Diana »

That's really cool, Jeff. Good for the chow and their surviving spirit.

So I was thinking about the grain thing, and I've been wrong plenty times before. I'm sure the chows have gotten used to a grain diet, but I still am wondering whether it's just "survival" versus outright thriving. But if people have tried meat-based diets and gone back to grain and have seen much better results, hey the dog has told you what is best and that always wins over any theory. :)
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Yes, surviving is not thriving!

I was wondering if so many years of being fed rice made their bodies used more rice than meat.
Mia
Grab
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Grab »

Late to the thread, but both of my boys eat a grain free diet and have done splendidly on it. I switched several months ago, and Legend is eating better than he has in a long while