Feeding Chow pups

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Feeding Chow pups

Post by wallacethegreat »

I need some advice and wanted to ask some questions about feeding a Chow pup.
As far as I was told, Fozzie was not given any puppy food at all, and was fed adult food from the time he began eating dry food. Someone mentioned that his lack of nutrition may be one reason why his little ears didn't stand up. He turned 6 months old last Saturday and I have heard various things from vets about taking pups OFF puppy food at 6 months, but since he never had any, should I keep him ON his puppy food (he actually gets half puppy food and half adult food now) until he reaches a year old? He's a big boy...53 lbs. at 6 months old, so he's definitely not starving. However, I want to make sure that while he's young and growing, he's getting everything he needs.
Thanks...
Attachments
Fozzie-Bear at 5 months
Fozzie-Bear at 5 months
Fozzie Bear CU 091008.JPG (28.76 KiB) Viewed 2903 times
Laura Mac, mama to Fozzie-Bear and to Berkley-Bear and Oliver Wallace, my angel Chows
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Feeding Chow pups

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

I think you should keep him on it until at least 1 year. Some dog foods even recommend keeping them on it for 2 years. Miss Hannah, however, would not eat her puppy food, she would only eat Holden's adult food. I gave up trying to get her to eat her own food and not wolf down Holden's the moment she had a chance, so she has not been on her puppy food as long as I wanted her to be. Little snot...
ImageImageImage
Diana
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Diana »

What are you feeding? I'm inclined to get any medium-to-large breed of dog off of puppy food and onto adult food as soon as possible. Slow and steady growth is good, especially for the joints (and in breeds prone to joint issues, fast growth is bad), so before looking at puppy vs. adult I would look at what is in the diet. Any adult food rated for all life stages is just that- designed for life.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

People on here told me to keep them on puppy food until they were a year. My vet suggested taking them off puppy food at 10 mos. So I fed mine large breed puppy food until Shug was year...mixed in adult for a month and that was that but it meant Chloe went off puppy food at 10 mos. Both of mine weigh about 65 lbs but Shug is more athletic and lean, Chloe is more stocky,solid, square Chow. I know that isn't educated advice (hopefully Kiwani will see this and post) but it's just what I did.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)