Optimal Weight For Full Grown Chows

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

WeLoveLeRoy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Optimal Weight For Full Grown Chows

Post by WeLoveLeRoy »

Leroy just had his 2nd year visit at the vets. He got his vaccines, and a check-up. The vet weighed him in at 59lbs. He weighed the same last year this time...actually he was 58 lbs. Is this it for him? How much does your pup weigh?
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Optimal Weight For Full Grown Chows

Post by CoraP. »

I would say that's probably about what he will stay. Molly is around 46 pounds. The males are a bit larger.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Mine vary from around 46-86 pounds. Samantha has consistently weighed 46 pounds for the past year and she's had quite a few vet visits and weigh ins. Ping is pretty consistent around 55 pounds. Bear is the heavy weight at 86 pounds. He was about five when I adopted him and he weighed 54 pounds. He started putting on weight and I think he even grew in height/length right after I brought him home. He's been in the mid-80s for the past two years. Tod, my mix, is only 55 pounds, but stands as tall as Bear.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Pekoe has always been 63 lbs give or take a lb, onyx was 68 lbs and she was skinny. I think there are a couple of Chows on here in the 70' and 80's but then you have some in the 40's and 50's, If I remember correctly Pekoes vets weight chart says Chows go fro 40 to 80lbs. Like humans its better to be underweight then overweight...I'm talking adult Chows not puppies.
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Shuggy is around 65lbs and Chloe is 63 lbs. I keep waiting for a growth spurt or something because I thought they kept growing until 18 mos or 2 yrs but they are holding steady so far.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdasilva27 »

McKenzie is 48 lbs but she's actually overweight. The shelter gave her a huge bowl of about 8 cups of kibble and just added to it everyday so I think she ate out of boredom. I think she needs to lose 6 to 8 lbs which she probably will with all the walking we're doing, and she really enjoys her walks so it's good for many reasons. I think the best way to tell is a height to weight ratio or if you can feel their ribs.
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Chyna is 6 years old and weights about 65-68 lbs :shock: Kai is 18 months and very small boned and he just hit 44lbs.each Chow is different.
I've had 2 Chowboys that weighed 95lbs and were not fat. if Leroy is not too heavy than that sounds like a good weight for him.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I guess I have from one end of the spectum to the other....Kearra is 2 yrs and weighs 34 lbs and has for over a yr, she is small boned, Kyra is 1yr and weighs 58lbs she is almost twice the size of Kearra and isn't overweight

Thanks Sweetpea!
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Holden is 5 and weighed 55 lbs at his last vet visit. He usually stays around 55 lbs but does fluctuate up and down on occasion by about 2-3 lbs. Hannah is a mix and weighed 56 lbs at her last visit and I am sure she weighs more now. She looks smaller than what she is, though.
ImageImageImage
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Mr. N is quite a bit taller than Shiloh but they are both around 58-60 lbs each. At our Chowfest this year, someone pointed out that Mr. N looked to be taller than most of the other Chowfesters.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh