Recommendation for Treats

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Recommendation for Treats

Post by sdasilva27 »

What are some good brands/varieties of treats? I don't want to give my chow any junk that could affect his stomach later on. I've read about people giving their chows cut up apple chunks, rice (what type - white, brown?), salmon, etc. Is this really preferred? I always got yelled at when I was a kid for giving the dog anything - especially MY veggies, lol. Do your dogs beg because they're given people food? I'm guessing the trick is to actually put it in their bowls and not give it to them while you eat it at the same time? What store bought treats are healthy for chows? I'm worried about what I've heard about giving them too much protein and what not...

Come to think of it, I think my chow is going to be eating better than me...
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Recommendation for Treats

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

I don't buy any special type of treat but mine don't get treats often. Only one (ok sometimes they will get 2 if they've been very good and sometimes Holden ends up getting 1.5 and Hannah only .5 because she won't do her tricks) when they come in from outside. They only get canned food once a month with their heartworm meds, too. I'm so mean :( They do get people food ONCE in a while. Holden doesn't beg, Hannah does. But she's getting better. I'm hoping it's an adolescent thing... Hannah does get 2 milk bones if she has to go into her crate. I buy the PetSmart brand because that was the one and only brand Tucker would eat O:)

Hannah really likes "Better Than Ears" (fake pig ears - bacon flavor) so she gets those sometimes. Holden won't eat hard treats and his absolute favorite are liver treats. He used to eat anything and everything but he is getting picky in his "old" age :wink: :x
ImageImageImage
sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdasilva27 »

I wasn't sure if certain treats weren't good for a chow's digestive track. I know no rawhide but....

I want to get something good (health wise) because I think it might take extra treats during the chow's transition phase. I'm not really sure how he or she will act when they get here but I'm assuming that they won't be all over me so when they do something good, I do want to make sure they know it was good. I'm not going to force myself on him or her but I don't want them to be shy or scared because of having been bouncing around and sometimes the treat does the extra inticing. My last chow wouldn't take a treat (and he LOVED treats) from anyone he didn't trust.
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

One type of people food that is good for the kids and they absolutely LOVE is chicken (chicken was the magic ticket to finally getting Holden to warm up to Hannah). If you get a boneless chicken breast/leg and bake it in the oven it is much healthier that way. Then you can cut it up into little pieces and voila! Putty Chow in your hands.
ImageImageImage
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I think you said you were going to feed Solid gold? If so solid gold makes treats also. I have always avoided treats untill about the last 2 years now that pekoe is getting older, Pekoe's treat list is Frosty Paws, An ice cream treat for dogs, Nutro Dental biscuits and Happy hips Chicken strips. thos three and thats about it.

Frosty Paws you can get from the Ralphs Ice cream section, they have a dog on the cover. Dental biscuits and Happy hips chicken strips you can get from a Healthy pet, pet food store or you can get the dental biscuit's from Pet-smart but i would stay with the treats that are put out by the food you are feeding as long as its a good quality food like Solid gold is.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

You can also get Frosty Paws at Wal-Mart in the frozen novelties section. Holden and Hannah do like Frosty Paws.
ImageImageImage
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Frosty Paws are a given, No Chow will pass up a nice cool refreshing Frosty paw.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdasilva27 »

Haha ok. I'll get some of those. Thanks for your help.

I'm trying to get everything all ready now even though I have no idea how long it'll actually take to get my dear chow.

I like to plan and be ready...

I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't anything to definitely stay away from (in addition to the pimple ball with one hole!)
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

I use the Dogswell line of treats, they are made in china, but are sold at Whole Foods so I give them the benefit of the doubt. I also have good responses with some thing called Sea Cucumber treats also sold at Whole Foods. Everything else gets the upturned snoot.....
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

sdasilva27 wrote:I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't anything to definitely stay away from (in addition to the pimple ball with one hole!)
I guess the stay from stuff would be rawhide products, pig ears and greenies. Greenies you can't miss, they are green things in a box that say's greenies. Anything that looks like it would be tough to digest. I know alot of people buy rawhide bones and treats that haven't had any trouble but Pekoe's vet says not to give rawhide and I've read a few articles that agree. Chows are pretty good about not being treat crazy and are real particular about what they eat and the treats they like. I let my Chow off leash at the pet stores and let her do her own shopping she walks along the isles sniffing things if she licks it I will buy it but there's never anything she wants, what ever I stick in front of her face she turns her head away. There's not one cookie in the big cookie bins at Petco she will eat.

ImageImage
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Mine LOVE Frosty Paws!! They also get almost every kind of Nutro treat they make. I have a canister set on the kitchen counter that contain their treats. #-o I keep a bag of the fruit/veggie Nutro treats in the nightstand so they can have a small snack at bedtime. They love the carrot ones the best. I also buy the Dogswell brand chickenstrips...happy hips and vitality ones. I might be one of the few on the site that gives out rawhides. My pack will devour them. They also get bully sticks. I recently found Costco has a pack of 12 for $20.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

"I keep a bag of the fruit/veggie Nutro treats?"

Where did that come from i will have to take a look and see if i can fine them, Pekoe's not much into fruits and veggies so i will have to try those out.

Victories post about the Chows jaw strength she just posted and how easliy they chew up things was my concern about rawhide. Chewys that are supposed to last a week or even a day in a chows mouth are gone in a second. Oynx proved that by eating her way threw a wood fence every night untill she found out Pekoe was on the other side, that put a quick end to wood chewing.

ImageImage
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

The fruit/veggie treats are sold at Petsmart (and other places - found this pic on Amazon). They come in carrot, apple and berry.
http://www.amazon.com/Nutro-Natural-Cho ... y_k_text_b
Attachments
Nutro.jpg
Nutro.jpg (6.57 KiB) Viewed 5487 times
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php ... iew#p82653

If you use the search feature you can also find a similiar thread regarding the food we here feed our chows, plus some homemade recipes.
sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdasilva27 »

Thanks for the link, I did a quick search but I didn't see that thread.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

fillyok wrote:The fruit/veggie treats are sold at Petsmart (and other places - found this pic on Amazon). They come in carrot, apple and berry.
http://www.amazon.com/Nutro-Natural-Cho ... y_k_text_b
Great, now i'm going to have to buy all three flavors just to see if she will at least eat one of them. Guess it won't be the first time i sneeked a bag open to see if Pekoe will eat it.

ImageImage
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Oh we keep all kinds of treats around here but I do read ingredient lists and avoid corn, wheat, and junk stuff for the most part but they do love the junky treats too. Mine love the all natural chicken and duck strips, innova biscuits, alot of the 'vitality' line of treats, these lil salmon bites,...we're out and can't remember the brand, etc. etc. They get bully sticks sometimes too but I don't do rawhide. Chloe could chew through a 2x4 in 5 minutes so I haven't found anything hard/chewy that lasts.
I also let them split a can of salmon a few times a month and a can of canned food probably once a week. Haven't worked my way up to sardines yet...eeww.
Their absolute favorite thing...potato chips! I know I know...but I only give them on each. I could save a ton on treats though if I replaced them with chips. :lol:
People food...meat leftovers and cheese sometimes.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Willow likes puppy milk bones--yes have to be the puppy ones. And, she likes Charlie Bear Turkey Liver and Cranberry treats. They are so small the size of kibble. And, I freeze low fat vanilla yogurt in ice cube trays for her. I also buy the 1st Stage Gerber baby food in turkey, ham and sweet potato. I sometimes freeze 1/2 yogurt, 1/2 babyfood in the ice cube trays for her, so it's like a layered treat.
Lori
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

I am a little treat-stingy also.

The Nutro carrot, blueberry and apple (fruit & veggie) treats are absolutely the best. They are healthy (I am a bit of a freak about what I give them) and really inexpensive.

Sherrell the Solid Gold Hundelflocken is great, great food.
Mia