Benefits of Solid Gold

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Benefits of Solid Gold

Post by sdasilva27 »

For those of you feeding your chows solid gold or the other pricier kibble, I know you're saying that you're providing better nutrition for your chow and by spending a little more on kibble, you're potentially saving less on vet bills. But I'm wondering what is it about solid gold and others that make it so much better for your chow? Our old vet (curse her) told us to feed our chow Pedigree small crunchy bites that it was one of the best kibbles (or maybe it was back then?, 1996). Every time we complained about his skin being itchy, diarrhea, blood in his stool, etc., she told us that it was just a skin condition and/or his thyroid condition. We asked many times if we should switch his food and she kept telling us no. After finding and reading this board, I'm thinking she was an idiot. For all I know, that food could have caused or at least made his digestive track so bad that that's why he got the cancer there? I have no idea but I certainly do not want a repeat of what happened. I am more than willing to spend more on kibble if it means a longer happier life.

But what should I look for in kibble, specifically for a chow?
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Benefits of Solid Gold

Post by Jeff&Peks »

No wheat, no corn, no by products, no fillers, watch the type of fats and richness of the food and easy on the grains = Solid gold or Nutro. it it wern't for my Chow eating Nutro for 13 years i would be feeding Solid Gold but both make alot of differnat formulas so you have to watch that also.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Jeff is absolutely right!

I would just add, after doing exhaustive research, to make sure that the protein percentage is in the low, low 20's and that there be a little bit of fat just to help keep the coat thick and healthy. (both Nutro and Solid Gold do this.)

Your old vet may have been getting money back (kickbacks) from the company. I know my old vet got money from Science Diet to promote it.

In general, chows don't need a tremendous amount of protein or grains. (I think rice and barley are the most prefereable grains. Wheat, wheat gluten and corn are not good for chows.)
Mia
sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdasilva27 »

Ok great. Now I know exactly what to look for. So it sounds like they have a pretty similar diet to what we should all eat, minus all the protein. So now I know what kibble is highly recommended.

How about treats? I've read about people giving theirs cut up apple chunks, rice (what type - white, brown?), salmon, etc. Is this really preferred? I always got yelled at when I was a kid for giving the dog anything - especially MY veggies, lol. Do your dogs beg because they're given people food? I'm guessing the trick is to actually put it in their bowls and not give it to them while you eat it at the same time?
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I get a publication called "The Whole Dog Journal", which happens to be published in Florida. They don't accept advertising from any company, so I feel confident that they aren't influenced by money from any dog food companies. After reading several articles about the ingredients found in the "grocery store" dog foods, I've never bought that kind of food again. Also, each year they do a review of some of the best dog foods out there, and Solid Gold is one that's on their list. I use their information to help make decisions about food and there are a lot of interesting things about holistic medicine for dogs, which is very interesting to me. You might like to look into this publication...I really enjoy it!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
h0n33y
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by h0n33y »

CoraP. wrote:I get a publication called "The Whole Dog Journal", which happens to be published in Florida. They don't accept advertising from any company, so I feel confident that they aren't influenced by money from any dog food companies. After reading several articles about the ingredients found in the "grocery store" dog foods, I've never bought that kind of food again. Also, each year they do a review of some of the best dog foods out there, and Solid Gold is one that's on their list. I use their information to help make decisions about food and there are a lot of interesting things about holistic medicine for dogs, which is very interesting to me. You might like to look into this publication...I really enjoy it!

could you share the article w/ us?
aware
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aware »

Mia wrote: I would just add, after doing exhaustive research, to make sure that the protein percentage is in the low, low 20's and that there be a little bit of fat just to help keep the coat thick and healthy. (both Nutro and Solid Gold do this.)
I thought that the higher the protein the better? I feed the Chows' Wellness Core w/ 34% crude protein...
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

I have done extensive research - which really just means I am more confused now than ever.

But, apparently, chows do NOT need a lot of protein. Both because their entire development over the centuries they have never been fed much protein and therefore their bodies didn't evolve to require a lot of protein and because they are not high energy animals. They have always been strength pullers and their legs are meant for strength, not speed running. Therefore, since they are more long, strong energy users as opposed to high energy movers - they do not require lots of protein.

As they were evolving in China, meat was scarce and rarely fed to chows. They lived much more on a diet of rice and veggies. Then again, dogs are meat eaters. Hard to say.

Since all dogs are different - even ones of the same breed - I would try a low protein and if it doesn't seem to be right for them then go ahead and go for a higher protein food.
Mia
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

The Feb. 2008 issue is the one with the Whole Dog Journal's approved dry foods. I'm not sure if this can be shared or if you have to be a subscriber?? I'll try to find out. Their guide lines are: Foods that contain a lot of high-quality animal proteins, they reject any food containing meat by-products or poultry by-products, they reject foods containing fat or protein not identified by species ( animal fat or meat meal is NOT good), they look for whole grains and vegetables, they eliminate all foods with artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives or added sweeteners, they look for products containing organic ingredients. I hope this helps!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

I think that the quality of the ingredients is more important than worrying about the protein level, in all honesty. My girls actually do best if they are primarily eating raw meat/bones and not much of anything else. We go through periods where I feed whole raw chicken and they thrive on it. Currently they're on Canine Caviar, which is a 26% protein food with the first ingredient being dehydrated chicken, and they do really well on this too. The digestibility of this food is 91-93%. My 70 pound shepherd and my high-energy 17 month old shepherd each get about 2 cups per day. Khana, at 53 pounds, gets about a cup and she's a bit too solid at this point (I keep telling her that when my knee is better we're BOTH going to start exercising more!). I throw in some coat supplements especially when the weather gets cold, and they get an occasional egg on the food (as well as various treats every day - spoiled little monsters!).

There are various websites out there who rate different dog foods and some of their "rules" have to be taken with a grain of salt. For instance, the Canine Caviar that I feed has the first ingredient of dehydrated chicken, the second is ground pearl millet, the third is whole ground brown rice. Many places will fault this food because two of the first three ingredients were non-meat, but when a food lists "dehydrated chicken" it is completely different from listing plain chicken (which has a high level of water weight) or chicken by-product or meal (although chicken meal is not as bad as some places make it out to be, either). The next three ingredients are chicken fat, chicken and whitefish. The meats used in Canine Caviar are human grade, too, which means they don't use any old scraps they find.

The whole food debate is - as always - part fact and part opinion. When you find something that truly works for your dogs then that's what you should use. But if your dogs are having health problems, coat/skin problems, etc. then looking at your food first is a good idea. You mostly get what you pay for. I've been fooled by ingredient lists that look okay (Kirkland foods, for instance - gave them a try when I got sick and lost work and therefore wages, but they did a bad number on my poor girls). Now I stick with the expensive stuff because in the long run it keeps the cost down and my girls happy and healthy. I like avoiding visits to the vet as much as I can.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

IliamnasQuest wrote: You mostly get what you pay for. I've been fooled by ingredient lists that look okay (Kirkland foods, for instance - gave them a try when I got sick and lost work and therefore wages, but they did a bad number on my poor girls). Now I stick with the expensive stuff because in the long run it keeps the cost down and my girls happy and healthy. I like avoiding visits to the vet as much as I can.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Nicely put Melanie. I couldn't agree more! I'm currently feeding a mix of a RMB diet & Ziwi Peak, both of mine look awesome & are Alf is doing great \:D/
Thank you Elodie!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

The only thing I found wrong with high protein food is the runs and soft stools, I tried a few cups of Innova with Pekoe it didn't agree with her even though she liked it, good food then found out high protien . I don't think Chows can eat basic dog food good or bad so instead of looking for dog food look for Chow food.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
aware
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aware »

We've switched to Solid Gold (wolf king) and salmon oil only. So far, so good.

Wellness is a great food but it seemed to be too rich, soft stools and lots of doggie farts. #-o

There also has been a serious itching problem in our house, especially in the middle of the night. Even after grooming/vet checks and flea preventatives. Maybe Rocco has an allergy to Chicken? Jewels doesn't seem to bad. But Rocco has been really at his feet, back legs and base of his tail.

Only time will tell...
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Mine have been itchy, too.
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand