Nutro shortage ???

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

anita
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Nutro shortage ???

Post by anita »

Yes! There is a shortaage!

I am in Europe, in Cyprus and there is a terrible Nutro shortage here and we are desperate. I have elderly dogs and Nutro is the thing! They have been eating it all their lives. I cannot get a straight answer. They tell me they will stop selling Nutro in Europe, that they were bought out by Mars. What is the truth?

Can anyone help me get/locate Nutro here? If not can anyone recommend a European brand that is comparable?

I have been to the Nutro site and there is no link to Cyprus, only to Greece, and the UK. One of these countries must have been supplying us. UK says they can't help us, and nobody ever answers in Greece.

Help!
Where's my chow chow?
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

I fed my cats Nutro. This weekend I decided to switch to something else because of what I was reading. The Nutro rep was there asking what I was looking for...I was honest and said that I read about the Nutro formula being in question. She backed off graciously. When I passed by her with another brand (Taste of the Wild) she told me she wished her cats would eat that brand! I don't know what's going on with Nutro just like I don't know what happened with the canned Solid Gold - I just try to make the switch if there's any question. :roll:
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Ginger Bears Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ginger Bears Mom »

David, I am sorry to hear that the Nutro issue has exploded further than it had when I first encountered this March 08. It was a nightmare locally trying to find any size bag, Ziggy is really persnickety with his food and hates to change, even following the weaning to new food process. Mayish I really got fed up and made a trip to a boutique pet store, and thank goodness I did. You name it they had it from raw frozen selections to the bagged variety, even had my favorite cat litter which is hard to find.

They would not let me spend a penny that day, sent me home with about 20 different meal sized samples for the brands they sell. I started Ziggy with Eagle Pack Holistic Select as a number of friends were very pleased with that brand, well Ziggy liked it no bowl stalking, sulking games he would do with other switches.

I realize you have a lot of dogs vs my one, but you actually feed less than you would with nutro, Ziggy @ 9 months is probably average wt at 46lbs. Per their feeding guidelines he receives a smaller serving size per meal. Don't recall what I paid for the largest bag of Nutro L&R, but Eagle Pack runs around 35.00 for the medium size bag and 45.00ish for the largest size bag.

His coat is shinier, breath is actually sweet, he takes fewer daily BaBa's (stools), they have a great consistency, and do not smell!

Very glad to have made the switch!
Hope this helps!
ps..sorry I didnt see this sooner, have not been on the site much, it has been a very crazy summer, work, move, kids..etc....b
Betty, Ziggy's Mom
Ginger Bears Mom ~ In Loving Memory, 8.5.93 - 11.16.07

"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next."
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Thanks for the info. I actually found some nutro at my local petco, they have it back in stock. I got it to see if it still is affecting Aldo and Mikimoto have stopped throwing up after I switched to hund n flocken. I am going to slowly switch back and if they get sick again it is bye bye nutro. We used to have no problems with it but I suspect there was a problem at the plant and hence the shortage, If they fixed it and the dogs are fine with it, then fine, otherwise, I won't bother with it again. I talked to the people at petco. I am always there and they said no problem returning the bag if They get sick.

David
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Nothing last forever, the Nutro of past may not be the Nutro of today that mars is putting out plus My OCD says i really don't like buying food made by a candy company. I've been mixing Nutro dry Lamb and rice with dry wolfking for the past couple of weeks. Most of the complaints I read were Nutro max and Nutro cat food both canned wet food I don't care who makes the food i would never feed canned food to pekoe, As much as I don't like canned food I did mix canned (not Nutro) with dry Nutro for Onyx trying to get some wieght on her and we all know that story. Its a pain buying two brands of food all the time so i would have no problem just switcing to Wolfking if any problems come up with Nutro. I like the ingrediants of wolfking better but pekoe will be 13 next month and still chasing cats and biting people so i hate to mess with something thats been working for 11 years.

Mars did rasie the price of M&M's if that helps.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage