Is my dog too thin?

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ChowChowInTheCity
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is my dog too thin?

Post by ChowChowInTheCity »

My pup is just over 1 year old. He is a very small chow, in terms of his build, and he topped out at about 45 lbs. when he was 6 months old. He has not gained much weight since then. I provide him w/ about 1.5 cups of solid gold puppy food, twice a day. However, he doesn't seem too interested in eating all of it at once. Usually he will eat about 2 cups a day (he always leaves some in his bowl from each meal). People have told me he is too old for puppy food but I feel that since he is so lean I want to keep him on it. He is very "skinny" compared to other dogs I have had - golden retrievers who seemed to be overweight no matter how much exercise they got. It is hard for me to tell his real size because his coat is so fluffy, but I can feel his ribs easily. Is this normal? I don't know what to do to make him eat more if that is necessary. Am I just being paranoid? He is completely healthy otherwise and gets exercise through walks and playing at the dog run, but not excessive amounts. Is he perhaps just destined to be a skinny boy?
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Is my dog too thin?

Post by Layla »

YUP! However, it's far better heathwise for a dog to be on the leaner side anyway anyway. You should be able to easily feel Rudy's ribs & spine (though the fluff :D ) & that's a great weight. Most chows tend to self regulate their meals as well (except for my puppy, who would eat anything, anytime, anywhere) so that's pretty normal as well.
Thank you Elodie!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Molly sometimes doesn't eat like I think she should. Others on this forum have said the same. Chows seem to be light eaters sometimes, and there are those that love their food. It sounds like yours is a lighter eater, but is healthy and active.
They seem to know what their requirements are.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I don't know anything about puppies but as far as eating habits his eating habits are exactly like my Chows, Same amount, eats when she's feels like it and leaves some in the bowl so I know were to but the foot the next time, except my Chow is 12 years old and weighs 63 lbs, Maybe when its time to switch to adult food (don't know when that is) your Chow may put on some weight. When it is time to change I would stay with sold gold but switch to sold gold Wolfking, same manufacturer and good quality food. I don't like messing with food so I wouldn't start adding stuff to get him to eat, for a Chow his eating habits sound normal.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage