New food question

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

New food question

Post by Laura »

I switched the kids food to Innova about a month ago. Chloe is having soft stools off and on...more on then off this week and Shug has also had some but not as many. Is a month long enough for them to be used to the new food? I combined it with the old when I first switched for a few days/week. They are almost out and I don't want to buy another bag if this food just isn't for them. Any thoughts...wisdom? Also I am just assuming it is the food...don't know it for fact but they seem perfectly fine otherwise. They were on Nutro prior to the change and never had any issues with it.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: New food question

Post by Red Dragon »

With the correct food they should be having a normal stool a few days after the change over. Another word of caution, you need to settle on a food and stay with it, changing foods all the time is not good for the dog.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

They were on Nutro from Day 1...then I switched to the Innova and planned on that being it for life. Now I either go back to Nutro or try another brand and cross my fingers. Arghhhhhh.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Innova is good food but way to rich and high in Protein, I tried a bag on Pekoe but same thing she had the runs and wasn't to happy about it. I wasn't Looking for a change Pekoe will always eat Nitro but thought I would give her a little change. I tried to pawn off the Innova on Berkley, Merlin and Onyx but they wouldn't eat it so the bag went in the trash. Don't know why you would change from Nutro, Like Red Dragon said you have to watch the food changing every week but let us know about next weeks secret food formula.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Jeff&Peks wrote: Like Red Dragon said you have to watch the food changing every week but let us know about next weeks secret food formula.
I'm not food changing every week. It was just time to switch to adult food so I thought it a good time to change and be done with it but their tummies disagree. Shouldn't mess with what works I guess. Princess Pekoe eats Lamb&Rice? (can't remember and there are 50 different kinds) We were on large breed puppy stuff but now I need adult for Shug.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Lamb and rice it is, watch the Nutro Ultra again way to rich you will have the same problem as you did with the Innova. If I were to ever change foods I think I would go with WolfKing, I like the ingredients (fish) and Pekoe seems to like it but she's been on Nutro her whole life so I don't want to change. I do buy a small bag of Wolfking and mix it with the Nutro once in awhile.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

I switched Holden to Nutro Lamb and Rice shortly after joining and while he absoluately LOVED it, his belly did not. I gave it a 2 months and he was having very runny stools so after some discussion here and with a Nutro rep at PetSmart, I switched him to Sensitive Stomach Chicken and Rice. He likes it, Hannah LOVES it. She refused to eat her puppy food and would only eat Holden's food.
ImageImageImage