Need to change nikka's diet

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

deidre
Rank 0
Rank 0

Need to change nikka's diet

Post by deidre »

Hi

For the past four months Kannika has been on a raw diet. When i started feeding her the raw food she loved it and ofcoarse i was happy coz the previous kibble i had her on she wasnt eating and she never looked her best. Now that shes on raw the vet has said shes looking better than ever and i agree. So why am i posting here then, ill tell you..

Over the past few weeks she hasnt been finishing her food. For breakfast she gets raw meaty bones and she used to eat everything but now shell only eat 2 out of the four chicken wings, and for dinner she has a mush meal but she doesnt even eat half of it. Because this food is all raw i simple cannot leave it lying there ova night till she eats it, like i used to do with the kibble. She has to eat her food asap so that the food doesnt go bad.

Another reason i posted this is that the raw food is expensive to keep going here is South Africa, specially since our country is goes to *Censored Word* thanx to the government, but anyway, i figured seeing as though shes not eating it like she used to that maybe shes bored of it. I really do not want to switch her bk to kibble but with money matters and the fact that shes not eating prop i guess ill have too.

So heres the deal, the only kibble we have available here in SA that is any good is Eukanuba, Hills, Royal Canine and Vets Choice. In comparison to the foods you guys overseas have our foods suck but thats all i have to choose from and we cant import. So if any of you guys, experts included, could please help make choose the best one id apriciate it. I have read a post on this forum comparing the diff foods and what percentage they are at. Royal canine got an A but here in SA Royal Canine was called bk last year due to something that was in the food and it was killing the dogs that ate it, so im not too keen on getting her that.

Please help guys, im worried bout my baby not eating and her food is too expensive to keep throwing away.

OH ja, before you ask if i make the food interesting for her the answer is yes, i made sprinkles to put on her meaty bones that consist outa her fav biscuits and i rinse it off under hot water to bring the aroma out, but nothing helps, shes just not interested anymore.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Need to change nikka's diet

Post by Layla »

How old is Nikka now? I only ask as Millie started eating a lot less once she was 12-18months old. She's a healthy weight & looks good, my vet said to simply offer less food & then give more if she appeared hungry... Just a though.
Thank you Elodie!
deidre
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by deidre »

thnx for the reply

Kannika is 1 year and 3 months at the mo.

I have never thought of her age affecting the way she eats but it makes sense. Nikka is also at a good weight, weighing about 23kg's. The vet said shes looking stunning and i agree. Ill try and lesson the amounts i give her but i dont want her loosing weight in the process, and due to freezing her individual meals its going to be hard to lesson it without it going off, coz you cant defrost and then re-freeze.

Apart from that, when the food runs out i want to change her on to the kibble, any ideas as to which one?

Thnx for reading
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Deidre,
I think what Layla says is true.when chows grow out of the puppy stage they eat less.Chyna has always been a sporatic eater.some days she doesn't eat at all and other days she binges(like her Mom).I think to keep her on the raw diet and give her less,if you can afford it.
its too bad your choices are so limited with the Kibble.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Check with Bernice at Ciao Chows, I believe she is very close to you. I think they were feeding Hills, she can help you with the correct formula.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
mswhitney
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mswhitney »

My friends who have been feeding their dogs raw diet of meat for 12 years have one fast day every week. So, 1/2-1 cup of raw meat, veggie & grain mixture in the am and half a turkey neck in the evening. Then on Sunday's no food, to help mimic the natural way of feeding in the wild. Seems to work for them just fine.