DIAMOND DOG FOOD STILL HAVING PROBLEMS

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

DIAMOND DOG FOOD STILL HAVING PROBLEMS

Post by Rogansmommy »

This just went up at the rottweiler forum yesterday. STAY AWAY FROM DIAMOND!!!

PERMISSION TO CROSSPOST FAR AND WIDE
Subject: DIAMOND
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:23:45 EST

You may think the Diamond food scare is over, or that only a limited amount of product is involved. Not so.

On Monday, March 6 - after 3 feedings of Diamond's Premium Edge Chicken, Rice and Vegetables - we almost lost 3 of our 4 GSDs. The only reason it did! n't effect the 16 week old is because we kept her on other feed. Within 20 minutes of ingesting their dinner, 2 of the dogs proceeded to vomit dark green undigested food and within another 2 minutes they were foaming at the mouth and stiff-leg gaiting. Another 5 minutes and they were having what I - as a nurse - would refer to as petit mal seizures. After a traumatic night at the local emergency clinic, the diagnosis was "food intoxication from Premium Edge kibble".

The following day, upon contacting Diamond in Meta, Missouri, I was assured they would work with me in this and stand behind their product....the reimbursement for any and all vet care, etc was also discussed. Upon asking for financial assistance for a test Diamond requested at Cornell ($300.00/dog minimum) - a test that per my vet and those at Cornell said was a CYA call on Diamond's part - they changed their mind on "helping out". I refused that particular test, awaiting results from another analysis on samples.

Notification came yesterday from University of Missouri Vet Met Diagnostic Lab: "Each of the four submitted samples of dog food contained approximately 0.5 ppm of vomitoxin, as detected by thin layer chromotography...".

Judging from no reference to this on Premium Edge's website (incredible how many products Diamond makes but very difficult to trace back to them - each feed/product seems to have it's own website/contact), no contact as of yet from Diamond and certainly no "standing behind" their product it appears they are not overly concerned about their consumers.

Research your food thoroughly. If it is even remotely related to Diamond - DO NOT FEED!! If you are so inclined, please write concerns to Diamond - you can reference me if so desired. My particular contact was Dr. Brookshire, Director of Veterinary Services.

Christine Buff
Sr. K9 Handler/Trainer, Highland SAR
Member, Rescue International
K9 Director, New York State Federation of SAR

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

IIRC, there was a follow-up shortly after this was first posted, and there were other factors involved, plus more information on the case was posted online.