how much treats?

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

how much treats?

Post by Coco Chow »

I bought new treats for Coco, as I was bored to give her pieces of cheese for treats only.
She now has cubes made with dried salmon, dried chicken necks and also dried anchovies. She loves them all! Especially the last ones, she's crazy for fish... :P

My questions is, how many treats is reasonable to give per day?
I like to make her happy and if I don't control myself she will soon look like a furry sausage.
Thanks.
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: how much treats?

Post by Rowlee »

Elodie,

I only generally give Wilbur treats for training. If I have given him a lot of treats in one day I cut down on how much I give him for his dinner. It's not going to hurt to give Coco a few treats each day, especially as they seem like healthy treats so long as you are not giving her like a packet a day.

Wilbur looooooves fish too!!

Sabina

Thanks so much Sweetpea, you're a star!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

My questions is, how many treats is reasonable to give per day?

when she stops looking so incredibly cute!
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Unlike most breeds that eat everything in site giving a Chow treats interfers with there reguler food, to many treats they won't eat, at least thats the way it works with Pekoe, One beggin stirp pekoe won't eat her lunch. Pekoe splits her food, half at lunch, 1/4 for dinner then 1/4 for a midnight snack any treats then that scedule is interuped. Maybe its a female Chow thing, gotta watch the figure.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Actually, one of the funniest things I see is when they turn up the nose to a treat. I will offer a treat, they sniff, and then turn the head sideways like "that is beneath me"....
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

No clue what is considered proper but I give mine a few treats every day (morning, after work, before bed...sometimes for no reason except they are cute :D ). I buy a variety and most are small and I try to buy healthy ones so I don't worry about how much. They know where I keep them so sometimes if I open the pantry door to get something I turn around to see two 'sitting pretty', smiling faces. Who can resist that! :inlove:
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

Laura wrote:No clue what is considered proper but I give mine a few treats every day (morning, after work, before bed...sometimes for no reason except they are cute :D ). I buy a variety and most are small and I try to buy healthy ones so I don't worry about how much. They know where I keep them so sometimes if I open the pantry door to get something I turn around to see two 'sitting pretty', smiling faces. Who can resist that! :inlove:

Ooooooh I sound mean now. I'm not though. The reason I cut down on Wilbur's dinner if I've used a lot of "training" treats is because his training treats are usually cheese or his absolute favourite, which he will walk over hot coals for, roast chicken :lol:

I do give him yogurt treats just for being cute :lol:

Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Thank you all. I guess as long as she eats her meals, that's all right to give her... :D

The thing is because I'm a stay at home chow mama, I'm always looking for snacks (for myself) during the day. I go 10 times a day into the kitchen and Coco is always behind me. Before I couldn't share a chocolate mousse or a human biscuit with her, but now I have something appropriate to give her too, which is great!
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

That is funny. When I get a snack Butters will sit down in front of me and give me those puppy dog eyes. So he ususally gets a snack when I do. I can't resist that cute chow face!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

quote]Ooooooh I sound mean now. I'm not though. The reason I cut down on Wilbur's dinner if I've used a lot of "training" treats is because his training treats are usually cheese or his absolute favourite, which he will walk over hot coals for, roast chicken :lol:

lol you're not mean! I should be doing some training around here and then they would get their treats that way! They need to vacation with you or Auntie Layla so you can train them for me! :wink:
:lol: \:D/ :lol:
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

Laura wrote: lol you're not mean! I should be doing some training around here and then they would get their treats that way! They need to vacation with you or Auntie Layla so you can train them for me! :wink:
:lol: \:D/ :lol:
Send em over Laura, but I'll give you the big tip, Wilbur really isn't that well trained at all, despite all the treats :lol: :lol: :lol:

fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I was afraid of over-feeding mine when I was off work for 1.5 months recently. I have a glass canister set on my kitchen counter that holds all their treats -- Nutro. My friends think I'm a nut-job.
Karen, I know that look. Do you ever get the nose push when they don't want what you're offering? Sammy does that a lot even though she looks like she's never missed a meal. :wink:
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

fillyok wrote:I was afraid of over-feeding mine when I was off work for 1.5 months recently. I have a glass canister set on my kitchen counter that holds all their treats -- Nutro. My friends think I'm a nut-job.
Why would they think that??
On our kitchen counter we've got 2 different kind of kibble bags, then small portions of them in plastic boxes, the treats, the salmon oil bottle... Oh, and there's a picture of baby Coco at 7 weeks on the fridge. So what? :wink:
Elodie
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Oh I bought a cute little jar to hold some of their treats too. Hubby leaves for work at the crack of dawn and he likes to give them a treat every morning after their potty break so I set it on the fireplace by the backdoor for easy access! Decorating 101 :wink: .
You should see them come running as soon as he opens the door and plant those fuzzy butts right on the floor. They know the routine! :lol: