Switched Dog Food

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Switched Dog Food

Post by Guest »

We made the switch to Canidae dog food. How long should I go before I see if he likes it or if it is better then the Natural Balance? We were told by NUMEROUS people that Canidae was a better food, so we wanted to try it and see. He likes it okay but he eats anything, so that is no good way to judge. We are just now starting on our second bag, he has been on it now for about 2 weeks. [/code]
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Two weeks is a little too soon to be showing up in his coat yet, but you can examine his skin, to see if it's dry or supple. Examine his ears, look at his eyes for any discharge, examine his stool quality and volume, examine his teeth for any increased tartar build-up or lessening, etc.

Look at his energy levels and see if he remains steady, is more stressed or less stressed. Just use your senses and watch for subtle changes.
Odessa's mum
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Odessa's mum »

That's good advise Kiwani, I'll check for the same with Odessa too as started her last night on Nutro Lamb and Rice -- changed from Iams Chicken
How long before results start to show do you think?
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I tried to switch Pip over to Nature's Recipe adult from a Beneful/Science Diet diet. Either the food was bad, or tasted bad. Pip got gastric upset. Lily is on NR, and she wouldn't eat it either. I put Pip back on Purina and am now trying to put her on Nutro, which has been fine so far (50/50 blend).

Two years ago, Pip got what looked like a hot spot just in front of her tail, but the vet diagnosed a flea allergy (though she had no signs of fleas). At the time I didn't know from hotspots, but looking back, the remedy from the vet is the same as if it were a hotspot.

Hopefully, lowering sweet Pip's sugar and srarch levels will keep her from anymore skin problems, plus, with the girls cross- grazing, getting Pip off Purina should be good for both.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Odessa's mum wrote: "How long before results start to show do you think?"

---

Give it a couple of weeks at least to detox from the other ingredients. If you want to hurry it along, add some omega-3 fish oil to the diet and some B-complex.
Odessa's mum
Rank 0
Rank 0

Switched dog food -- reaction to the food

Post by Odessa's mum »

Thanks, a vet friend had also suggested B-complex for Odessa a while back so i'll probably start her on it.
I had another questions though -- this morning I noticed Odessa's stool was not well formed like normal, do not know if this started when we swicthed food as my hubby normally takes her out and did not mention it.
Could it be a temporary reaction to the new food -- I am currently mixing it with her old Iams 50/50.
She seems fine otherwise and loves the Nutro.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "this morning I noticed Odessa's stool was not well formed like normal, do not know if this started when we swicthed food..."

---

Is there a difference in fat percentages between the two foods? Or have you given her any additional fatty treats recently?
Odessa's mum
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Odessa's mum »

Hi Kiwani
The Crude fat percentage on Iams is min 15% and on Nutro is min 12%.
Besides Iams has Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids of 2.5 and 0.25% respectively that Nutro does not have.
No, I have not given her any fatty treats, she is very picky with treats, only likes the MilkBone soft and chewy treats and sometimes I get her the plain doggie biscuits only as she does not like the colourful flavoured ones.
Thanks for you help

Mildred
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

How are things today with the greater amount of Nutro in the mix now?
Odessa's mum
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Odessa's mum »

Hi Kiwani
Thanks for asking, Odessa seems to be the same so I've decided to reduce the Nutro a bit as maybe she just eats it too fast being new -- she was only eating the Nutro when I started as my hubby used to put them on separate sides of the bowl but now we decided to start mixing it together and hope that will help.
Will post an update in a couple of days

Mildred
danhayw
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by danhayw »

Hi there, I use the Solid Gold Hund n Flocken-anyone else try that?
Courtney, Dante, Hayden, Rudy-cinnamon chow & Bugs-chi mix
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "I use the Solid Gold Hund n Flocken-anyone else try that?"
---

I'm familiar with the Solid Gold line, and have fed the Hund n Flocken Lamb formula, the Holistique blend, and more recently the Wolf King formula. How is your Chow doing on the formula?