turkey necks?

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Missystone
Rank 0
Rank 0

turkey necks?

Post by Missystone »

I just bought turkey necks. Thats okay to feed her as a snack right?
Do i cook them?

What other parts was it that they like? Tails? Necks of goats or something? Where
do i find this stuff. I am not sure farm fresh carrys it.

Tripe, okay i have seen that. Do i cook it? Cut it into strips or something, I hear its like
doggy gum, but will she choke on it??

I dont want to kill her with goodies.

missy
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: turkey necks?

Post by Merlin »

You can serve the entire neck as long as it is raw.
Turkey necks offer good amounts of calcium, protein and chondroitin.
If you cook it you must remove all traces of bone.

Essentially any part of an animal is good for your dog, as long as it is fresh, and not cooked.

The tripe you want is GREEN TRIPE, not the white honeycomb stuff found in stores. It's not the same thing at all.

Tripe is another word for the stomach of a ruminating animal. Ruminants are four legged animals that eat grass and other plant matter, and chew their "cud." Examples of ruminants are: cows, sheep, and goats. The stomach of a ruminant is unique, in that it consists of four chambers, sometimes referred to as having four stomachs. Each compartment has its own name, and performs its own function in the process of ruminant digestion.

Tripe is the edible lining and accompanying content of a ruminant's first or second stomach. Paunch tripe comes from the large first stomach and honeycomb tripe comes from the second. Green tripe means that the tripe has not been cleaned, bleached or scalded.

The actual color can vary from green to almost black in color. Green Tripe should never be white or almost white, and it should never be cooked This product has been used in Europe for years by many of the old time breeders along with their old time habits of feeding raw meat to their dogs.

Green tripe packs a load of nutritional benefits: it contains just the right balance of Calcium and Phosphorous for our companion pets, along with protein, fat, enzymes, vitamins, and good bacteria to aid digestion. In short, green tripe is the pro-biotic of the canine world.

By leaving tripe "as is," or "green," ( in it's natural state, we keep all of the nutritional benefits intact. Make no mistake, green tripe is visually displeasing for the squeemish, and very smelly to humans but honey to dogs! - which is fine, because after all, our dogs aren't human
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!