Wolfking???

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Wolfking???

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I was at Pet-co today buying some Nutro then saw a display, Organic food so took a look, the first food I saw was wolfking so thought Organic? sounds good to me and bought a small bag thinking Pekoe will love this, Bison and salmon how could she not. When I got home I put some in her bowl she came over to take a look and sniff but wouldn't eat it, thats impossible what could be in wolfking she doesn't like? she was all over the Innova Evo. It can't be the Salmon she would kill to lick a can of tuna fish and comes running when she smells Lobster so it can't be the fish, Evo has Bison she loved that so it can't be the poor departed buffalo. Maybe she had to many Happy hips and wasn't hungry, guess its back to trusty old Nutro.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Wolfking???

Post by Layla »

Not all like Solid Gold kibble Jeff. I think Kiwani says it's because it doesn't have animal fats in it?????? All I know is that Millie wouldn't eat it unless there was canned food in it.... mind you, she wouldn't eat any kibble plain....... Utterly spoilt apparently :roll:
Thank you Elodie!
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

I agree with Layla, having just come off of Innova reg and EVO, mine were a little snooty to moving back to Wolf King and I know it's due to the fat, or lack thereof. But they crap in solid form once again :D which is a good thing! They come running now when the food hits the bowl and all are very happy and content.

On a Solid Gold side note, I bought their treats, call "Tiny Tots", and my guys went nuts for these. The girl who sold them to me said everybody whose dogs tried these loved them. I have a stash of Dogswell treats and The Gang loves them too, but the fact they are made in China makes me uneasy.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

False alarm, I put a bowl of wolfking next to her bowl of Nutro she ate the wolfking first, Now if I can just get her to eat her Joint care pills, treats, what ever they are I would be happy. I think i will just switch food every few days between Nutro and Wolfking. I like the mixture of Fish in Wolfking and some of the other stuff, I also like the Mixture of Nutro but no fish so I guess both are fine.

She didn't get that much EVO to like it, she started itching after 2 days so I stopped it, I won't get into the Evo pooping you already did.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Mine won't touch Nature's Recipe L&R formula, it gives them stomache upset. The Venison and Rice they eat fine. They also never had gastric upset with Nutro L&R, but you could tell they only ate it because that was what was offered.
Missystone
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Missystone »

I got jasmine to eat some of the wolf king. I drizzled safflower oil on it. After she licked every
kibble clean, stirred it up and licked the bowl clean, she munched on the kibble. I had to sit there
and watch her. I noticed that if i am not there, she will only lick the kibble then maybe go back at
night and have a snack.
As long as they eat i guess.
Grab
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Grab »

Legend eats WolfKing fine, though he does go through periods of not wanting to eat much (he does this with all foods, though less so with the WK than with others). It's not uncommon for him to only take a few bites one day, eat ok the next, a few bites a few days later, etc. As long as he maintains his weight, which he does, I don't worry.

we did try Blue this month, the fish and sweet potato recipe, after hearing good reviews (and just to give the boys a change) but they don't like it any better or worse than the other, so back to WolfKing next month. This one is just far, far too fishy smelling for me to keep it around if they're not going to turn flips over it :P (WolfKing does have salmon, but doesn't smell quite so...fishlike...all of the time)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Pekoe is eating the wolfking fine now so I switch back and forth from Nutro or mix it. I like the fish for her but Nutro dosn't have fish. both foods have ingrediants the other dosn't have that are good so I mix it up. If I put both foods down in seperate bowls she will go to the wolfking first.

ImageImage
mikkabear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mikkabear »

Ok, I know that this is kind of a weird thing to ask... but do any of you ever taste your dog's canned food or kibble? I did try Mikka's canned food (Sensible Choice) but never had the nerve to try the Trader Joe's kibble. Well, I had had 2 glasses of wine first, my husband was horrified; I said I wanted to know what her food tasted like!
Natasha
and
Cue
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I never have but i would sure try the kibble before i ever put that canned mess in my mouth, yuck. I don't eat or like any kind of fish and Pekoe's food smells way to fishy for me to try. There shouldn't be any problem if the food is as organic as they say you should be able to eat it.

Tarders Joe's kibble mixed with some Trader Joes Cashews, whats wrong with that, a good TV snack.

ImageImage
Missystone
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Missystone »

I never tried the dog food myself. My dad once grabbed a dog biscuit and bit it in front of his dog, to tease him.

I got the timberwolf ocean blue for jasmine. She ate it without having oil poured on it. I think she might even like it.
An hour later she keeps licking her lips and I sit there thinking she is going to barf. Nope, just hanging out. But her BREATH!
She never has bad breath. She smelled like she just ate a pound of dead fish......
I will deal with the breath if her hair and skin get back to being nice, and her ears stop bothering her.
This is the only time I am glad she doesnt like to give kisses!

missy
samsmom79
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by samsmom79 »

Tried a dog buscuit back in my young, dumb, drinking days, on a dare, just tasted like really bland, brand cereal. Not that I ever care to try it again, hard telling what I really ate.
Robin
mikkabear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mikkabear »

Well, the Sensible Choice Chicken tasted pretty bland...mostly like rice. It was really moist though....but you know, I had had a couple (more like 3) glasses of wine so I decided to taste.
I think I would try anything I fed my chow, I was surprised that it had little taste.
So we felt guilty and mixed in the chicken thighs with her dinner with some garlic.
Plus the occasional doggie hamburger (minus the bun and condiments please) and the steak whenever we would grill.
And 1/2 a package of Aidells chicken-apple sausage
and 1-inch slice of stuffed pork loin minus the stuffing (goat cheese and mushrooms - yuk!)
and a fair share of truffle cheese from whole foods or Trader Joe's
and a sprinkling of white truffle oil over the din-din on occasion
But hey, she lived to 15.5 years, that's pretty good right?
Maybe it's just all the hugs and the love that keeps 'em going
Paulette
Natasha
and
Cue
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Well, I have to admit when I was a kid, I used to love the Milkbone Dog Bones. My mom would yell at me if she caught me eating them, so one time, she caught me eating one in the garage! I couldn't get away with anything! Oh well, it didn't seem to hurt me. :oops:
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand