the best vitamin and mineral sources to feed a Chow Chow

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

the best vitamin and mineral sources to feed a Chow Chow

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I found this on the net it may of interest to some.

What to feed a Chow Chow

As you may know, each breed of dog has its own unique set of nutritional requirements.

Their unique set of nutritional requirements have been passed on from generation to generation just like the breed's unique coat, body size and temperament. We have found that we can not change the genetic makeup of the animals we are feeding just by exposing them to a different diet for a small amount of time. Therefore, I suggest that Chow Chow owners try to feed their present companion pets with foods that contain what this breed requires. The food should contain: (#1) nutrient sources that are similar to those found in the native environment of the breed's ancestors (sources which are not foreign to the digestive and glandular systems of today's Chow Chow and which are easy for them to assimilate) and (#2) the proper balance of protein, carbohydrates, fatty acids, vitamins and minerals that match the breed specific nutritional requirements - those which have been passed on by their ancestors.

Pet owners who feed their companion pets correctly can save a lot of money. Many dogs are taken to the vet, suffering from nutritionally related problems, and the vet bills can be huge. i.e. dry/itchy/flaky skin, hot spots, yeast infections in the ear, thyroid - liver - kidney problems, just to name a few, cost the average dog owner hundreds of dollars every year. That is why I recommend that pet owners learn about the nutritional needs of the animal they are feeding before deciding on one of the many foods which are now available. When we first learn what our companion pet needs and then choose a diet that is correct for the animal being fed, it is a win-win situation: the dogs are healthier and the owners save money.

I personally believe that the best diet for a Chow Chow is one that the owner makes fresh, using quality ingredients, without preservatives. It only takes about one to two hours a week to cook for a Chow Chow so that both #1 & #2 are met and preparing home cooked meals for a dog can be less expensive than buying the average all-breed, any-breed commercial pet food. I hope that you will consider using this option to feed your companion pets correctly.

________ text from the Chow Chow page out of my book on Canine Nutrition ________

CHOW CHOW
Weight Standards: m/f - average 70 lbs.
Height Standards: m/f - average 20 inches
Coat: long, dense, double, single color
Common Ailments: hot spots, eye problems, ear infections

The Chow Chow originated in China (Tibet) where it was raised as a meat source for human consumption. This was done on a scale that can be compared to the sheep ranches of New Zealand or the cattle ranches in our own country today.

Since the Chow Chow was used as a meat source for human consumption, it was fed a diet of grains and vegetables. One indicator of the Chow Chow's development as a vegetarian is the difference in the mouth, jaw, and tooth structure from those breeds that developed as "meat eaters." For example, the Chow has a set of teeth that are flatter than the sharp incisors found in the carnivorous breeds.

The Chow has two other distinctive physical features that are unique to this breed of dog; first, a blue-black tongue, and second, a lack of angulation in the lower joint of the hindlimbs.

The primary food sources of the Chow Chow's native environment were rice, wheat, soy, and some occasional fish. Thus, a blend of these foods would be the ideal diet for the Chow Chow. Conversely, the worst blend would contain beef, horse meat, lamb, and poultry or any of their by-products.

__________________________end of page from book__________________
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: the best vitamin and mineral sources to feed a Chow Chow

Post by Coco Chow »

I thought they were not supposed to eat grain? :roll:

At least, I knew about the non-horse diet! :lol:
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Imagine that, I believe I said they were fed rice and grain about a year ago, and that they probably received very little in the way of meat due to the country being so poor and not being able to afford meat. Now do you understand why I say don't give them foods like Evo with high meat and protein content? You are starting to figure out what I have known for some time, you will all finally give up and switch to ProPlan or Selects. :lol:
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Red Dragon wrote:Imagine that, I believe I said they were fed rice and grain about a year ago, and that they probably received very little in the way of meat due to the country being so poor and not being able to afford meat. Now do you understand why I say don't give them foods like Evo with high meat and protein content? You are starting to figure out what I have known for some time, you will all finally give up and switch to ProPlan or Selects. :lol:

I would never feed Proplan but do you have autographed photo's available.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

I'll have PoPo sign one of her show pictures and send you, she is a ProPlan girl. :lol:
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
Missystone
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Missystone »

I think instead of having to do all kinds of research, driving all the way to the store, going thru each bag, label by label....
We should feed them lawyers and convicts. (in that order) =P~

I had a black chow/samoyed. She was called an Ebony Samoyed (by me of course) anyway.... I fed her pedigree dog food. I was
young, never been to a petstore or anything other than the grocer. So she ate pedigree cans and bag food. Never had any problems.
I got a small chow boy to keep her company down in LA from a mexican family (no english) couldnt teach the dog to come to me for
anything, freind came over and said 'akee' and he came running. My dog spoke spanish (barked it anyway). He was fine with pedigee
too.
Now I have a purebred, beautiful girl that some lady thought was going to get too big, who is very picky tummy wise about what she
eats. How do you teach a dog that frogs/toads make them vomit. Play with them, then let them go on their way, dont put them in
your mouth!!.
:shock:
And just forget about steak bones. I dont know what it is that does it, but she eats some and a while later I wander around with the Resolve, brush, towels and trashbags....ick!
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

The primary food sources of the Chow Chow's native environment were rice, wheat, soy, and some occasional fish. Thus, a blend of these foods would be the ideal diet for the Chow Chow. Conversely, the worst blend would contain beef, horse meat, lamb, and poultry or any of their by-products.
The chow in today is no where near as genetically sound as the chows from yesteryear.
While it's true that chow living during the times of Ghengis Khan had to eat virtually anything to surive, they were genetically much healther, didn't have compromised immune systems from over innocuation and pollutions, we not exposed to steroids, antibiotics and other chemicals.

We all know what soy does to our chows now.

China has never been known for it's benevolence towards dogs, so it's true, they probably very rarely had domesticated meats such as beef/lamb or poultry. that was because of incompatible viability, it was simply because of scarcity. The farmers during those era didn't eat much meats either, it was a luxury handed over to their dynasty rulers. Peasants lived off of rice and vegetables and extremely very little meat.

Chows were and still are natural hunters so would have had plenty of prey including mice, rats, rabbits, ground hogs, pheasants, and another other carrion they could come across, so chances are good that they would have had plenty of meat.

I don't know the publication year of your book, but I find it difficult to appreciate that the author can make the assumption that today's chow emulates those of 500 or 800 years ago. I think many of us can agree that years of poor breeding practices combined with poor health practices and poor foods laden with chemicals, has severely impacted the chow in a great many negative ways.

JMHO
Cheers
MM
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I just found it and crossposted it, I already know what that guys recommendations will do to a Chow. I just posted it for interest. If Pekoe were to eat the way he says i would be at the vet everyday with skin problems.

ImageImage
Son
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Son »

Lolx...:D