potty train... help?

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

jeff2hardy2003
Rank 0
Rank 0

potty train... help?

Post by jeff2hardy2003 »

I have a 3 month yearold chow just got it like 3weeks ago. i heard that you could make it an indoorpet. i have no experience on how to potty train him. and I dont have a place for him to go to #1 or 2 in my house,

there's no exit for him to go outside when im not home.
so how to train him to be an indoorpet. i heard that you shouldn't punish a chow phsically and he doesn't seem to care about me yelling at him.so how to punish a chow.

Post by Guest »

I would not punish him. Rather, you should really praise the good. Have you tried crate-training? My pup is crate trained and he has not had an accident in months. He is only 7 month old. Hopefully some of these will help you....

http://www.perfectpaws.com/crt.html

http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

http://www.cuhumane.org/topics/crate.html
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

If you punish him he will learn to NOT go #1 og 2 if you are around.
If you punish him after, he will not understand WHY you punished him.
So DON'T punish him.. :)

To learn a dog/Chow to be a indoor pet, go out with him after he has played, Eaten, drinking water, slept etc.
Then your Chow will learn that the toilet is outside.
This could take a couple of weeks to months before the Chow understand, so don't expect results after 2 days. ;)
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Never, never, never punish or yell at a chow. Chows are usually very easy to house train. After he eats, take him outside. After he wakes up from a nap, take him outside. Right before he gets ready to take nap, take him outside. Keep him confined to 1 or 2 rooms in the house... do not let him have full run of the house until he is house trained. House training it not something that happens just overnight, but like I said, chows usually house break pretty easily. They do not like soiling where they live. Chows have very long memories and if you punish him or yell at him, he will remember it. Instead of negative training (punishment or yelling) use positive reinforcement. When he potties outside, praise and pet him and tell him good boy. Be consistent with it. When he does things the right way, praise him. Dwell on the positive, DON"T dwell on the negative. As far as when you aren't home, alot of the chow owners here used a crate. When you aren't there to keep an eye on him, put him in the crate. But that doesn't mean make him live in the crate either. I used a baby gate. And when someone wasn't here with Koda, we put him in the bathroom (on a floor that could be easily cleaned in case of an accident) and put the baby gate up. Hope this helps!
Nancy and Tai

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I have never been in the potty traning part of a Chows life but I do know Chows are probably one of the easiest breeds to potty train. Once he is trained he would rather die then ever go in the house. What you need to do is start reading everything you can find and learn what a Chow is all about. This site is the perfect place to start, actually the only place to come for advice, I have never found any better information on a Chow then this site.

One thing you better learn fast is to never hit, yell or punish a Chow you may be doing alot of damage that you will have to deal with later. You have a puppy, think of it as bringing a baby into the house, you wouldn't yell at or punish a baby so give the Chow a break and work with him not against him. You will hear this alot form Chow owners and its true, you are dealing with a Chow not a Dog so don't be using dog tactics and punishments that you think you know on a Chow, it will never work.
sixchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sixchows »

Our chows were easy to train. They trained themselves! In our bedroom, we had a large cardboard box for them to sleep in, with the side cut way down so the mom and 4 pups could get in and out easily. When they were a few weeks old they decided the box was the potty. We came home to find them all using it! So I got rid of the cardboard box and got a huge rubbermaid container that had low sides like the ones for under the bed storage. I put some newspaper in it so they would get the idea and sure enough they used it right away. We let that continue for about a week until I put the box out in the back yard and let them out. They soon realized there was no point climbing in and out of the box and stepping in each other's waste, so they just started going in the yard. Soon after, each had their own spot.
meex18
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by meex18 »

Bruiser was already potty trained when I got him which was weird coz my brother told me he wasn't. He will only pee or poop whenever I take him out for a walk which is after every meal in the morning and late in the afternoon.

I got worried at first because he'd wait for me to get home from work and take him out before he pees or poops (I don't let him out too often to play with my other dogs because of our climate here, so he's always stuck inside the house in front of a fan and a bowl filled with ice to cool him off). That and he doesn't like anyone else taking him out. Fortunately, he's lighten up with my Mom and would allow her to take him out to pee every once in a while when I'm not at home.