Does YOUR chow have any formal training?

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Shane
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Shane »

My chows really have formal training, just some basic house rules really. I don't complain so I see nothing wrong with my chows without training.

Shane
CenTexChows
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CenTexChows »

Yup, Im with Shane. Just some simple house rules. Andromeda is a sweetie when I call her... she comes to me. But Zeus ignores me and likes to do what he pleases. Zeus knows a few tricks, sit and shake. :roll:
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

chow training

Post by Sharons Chows »

Since my 1st rescue chow, 13yrs ago, was my 1st dog I had no idea that they wern't "normal" dogs and we went to school. What a disaster...just awful. I guess that we flunked ...but they did give him a certificate to get him to leave and never come back. But I did learn that I had to show him who ran the show by making him lay on the ground in an arm lock.
After I lost him to a horrible accident and said "never again"...along came my JR, another rescue chowling. I let him know who was the boss right away. Then we met Alan, who also thought that Chows were "just dogs" and then finally learned that when JR sat on command that it was a great accomplishment and obedience school was not an option. Then Alan brought home rescue chow #3, our Cheyenne, and again I established who was boss and she now sits and almost comes {she is getting around to it}

Chow Chows should not be subjected to the humiliation of "schools"...no one, especially. the instructor likes them anyhow and they are much smarter than all of the the other canine students! They learn what they want!
Lily Griffin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lily Griffin »

Mine have also had no formal training. We have had Tosh & Phoenix since 8 weeks old and they have learned as they go along. I also have 2 GSDs, also from 8 weeks old, also just learned as they go along.
I have a really big yard with palisade fencing around two sides, so they pretty much see everything that goes past. The Chows don't bark much at all, but the GSDs do. Phoenix and Tosh dash around the fence as well, while Roly and Mistral do the barking.
They know what they are allowed to do and what they aren't and most of the time they listen. I think they know by your voice if you REALLY mean it, and react accordingly.
I've never hit either of them, as they don't really do anything to warrant it. They don't like it when I'm cross with them, which is probably why they listen.
Mine have never been aggressive with other dogs, or people, but sometimes they dislike someone without really knowing them, ie. they keep away from the person. Don't know why this is.
Lily
There are no ordinary Chows
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

Well, I’m going to be in the minority here, but I’m used to it .. *L*

First of all, I’m new to this board although I did post some several months back. And some of you already know me .. * waves to Tracy and Leo*

I have three chows and all are trained or in training. In fact my oldest chow (Kylee) holds five obedience titles, four agility titles, a schutzhund BH and is certified in herding. The middle chow (Dora) is working on her novice obedience title, but she has two agility titles already. And the youngest (Khana) is 15 months old but I expect to have her in competition in May (hoping, anyway!).

I also have two German shepherds, one has been very active in performance events and the other is a stay-at-home dog.

My way of looking at training is this: each of us has different desires and goals in our lives. As long as our dogs fit our own lifestyles and are safe with us and with others, formal training is not that important. The only thing I am concerned about is the lack of socialization in most dogs that are not taken to obedience classes. Unfortunately, when the chow became a popular breed many people bred chows indiscriminately and temperament was not always an important feature to them. So there was a dip in temperament in the breed overall and it has affected the public perception of the breed. In addition, the trend towards heavy heads has led to dogs with little or no peripheral vision, which increases the likelihood of being startled and therefore reacting from that. The “aloof” nature of the chow was never intended to mean “aggressive”. And good, respectable breeders are breeding for good temperament and healthy dogs.

All of my dogs are extremely socialized and I can take them everywhere. In fact, all three have visited at the local nursing home. I love that I can take them places without a problem. In addition, I teach my dogs the concept of being off-leash. Khana needs daily exercise (a simple walk won’t do – she needs to run and jump and wear herself out). So we go out front into the driveway and woods and she chases the shepherds and has a grand time racing around. This is good for her mentally and physically.

My training is primarily motivational with lots of positive reinforcement. My dogs love to “work” and we do a lot of tricks as well as obedience. Khana is very enthusiastic about doing things for me, and has recently learned to tug (not a behavior she normally did) so that she can learn to fetch a beer from the fridge. At least that’s the plan. Chows sometimes have their own plans ..* L*

I’ve been training and showing chows since the early ‘90’s. They don’t learn like shepherds, but positive motivational training is a great way to work with this particular breed and they can be very successful and happy as working dogs. When I head for the training treats, I have dogs jostling against me wanting to be the first to do something. I love that they're all so eager.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

Post by Guest »

Chi-Ching is six months on Sunday and he graduates beginning young dogs on Wednesday and then we are moving to intermediate. We want to go for titles with him. I find it alot of fun and it is fun for him, he is better then most of the dogs in his class and I think he is really going to like going farther, if I ever think that he is not enjoying it, I would stop......just like a kid in ballet or football......you have to make them practice and try but if they truly hate it.......they won't do it.