Obedience classes

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Obedience classes

Post by ngraham »

Well, I just talked to the lady that our vet recommended for obedience classes for Koda. I guess it was supposed to be because she has an obedience class tentatively scheduled to start January 24th and she had one opening left. Hummmm. He was too old for the "puppy" classes, so he will be in the obedience classes. We talked about Koda being timid and shy, and not wanting people to pet him. I told her what had happened at Petsmart... how terrified he was and that I ended up putting him in the cart. And after he was in the cart, he would let people pat his head... she said that was an encouraging sign. But not to take him back there for awhile because obviously it was just too much for him to have to tolerate well. She said of course she can't guarantee anything, because alot of it will depend on me and how committed I am in followig through with the training, but there will be other dogs and people there and the socialization with both will be good for him. And we will learn good communication tools. So I am excited about it. I just hope Kodie will be as enthused. LOL
Nancy and Tai

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I don't know if this has been gone over already but I don't think Koda not wanting to be pet by people has anything to with being shy, Pekoe and most of the Chows here don't like strangers or most anyone else touching them except for the close family members. The last few post I have read about a Chow going to obedience or training classes have caused problems that had repercussions that took awhile to recuperate from. You have been on this site for awhile so probably already know all this.
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

Jeff&Peks wrote:I don't know if this has been gone over already but I don't think Koda not wanting to be pet by people has anything to with being shy, Pekoe and most of the Chows here don't like strangers or most anyone else touching them except for the close family members. The last few post I have read about a Chow going to obedience or training classes have caused problems that had repercussions that took awhile to recuperate from. You have been on this site for awhile so probably already know all this.
Obedience classes (if the training is positive) seldom causes problem.
I've been to a obedient class with Diego, he was great.
And he didn't get any problems
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

both our pups have been great in obedience. They are always so excited to go to class! The only thing you will miss out on from puppy class is all the dog to dog interaction.

Good luck to Koda! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Mandy

Post by Guest »

I agree, every dog that I have had has gone to obedience. I think that they need that special time. It is also alot of fun. Chingers LOVES it. I was concerned with how he would do but he did great.
NOW, just don't take him to go see a shelter evaluator, THAT will mess him up socially. Poor Chingers is just getting over that. Good Luck!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I'm sure obedience school is great for a puppy, what I was referring to was her comment about Koda not allowing people to pet him because of being shy. She can send Koda to school for the rest of his life and unless she has the whole state of Illinois living in her house koda as an adult Chow will never allow strangers and people he's not familiar with just walk up and pet him.
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

Gracie is the same way. A person has to be around her a few times before she will allow petting. She's grown up around people coming and going here. She's been this way from day one, its just her personality. Another thing with her is outside of our yard she is even less likely to allow petting. To me, Koda sounds alot like Gracie.
One thing though, when a new person comes here and if Gracie doesnt bark at them, I know that has got to be a very special person.
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Honestly, I think I have just about accepted the fact that Koda is not going to trust people. I think unfairly, I have compared him to the way that Sasha reacted to people (she usually didn't have too much problem with anyone and as long as people would allow her to smell their feet first, and they passed the smell test, they got the OK to pet her) and Kodie is just not going to be Sasha. Sasha just was the exception to the rule when it came to chows. She had 4 different vets in her life time because of where we lived and every vet told me the same thing. She just doesn't act like a chow. So i think I have asked for more than Koda was able to do or be and I can't do that. There are only 2 people who can walk right up to him and pet him and that is Amber and I. Period. Tho he is not as bad with everyone else who walks into the house as he was, he is still a far cry from allowing anyone else to pet him like Amber and I do. We have even told people, don't pat him on the head, he has perferial (sp) vision and not being able to see your hand above him may be part of what scares him... so we tell people scratch under his chin. That wasn't the answer. Alot of Koda's behavior reminds me alot of what Jeff posts about Pekoe's behavior. So admittedly alot of the way I handle Koda reminds me alot of the way Jeff handles Pekoe. Even the trainer told me on the phone that by nature chows are not trusting of people and she said alot of what I told her sounds as if it is not so much as something has happened, but that he is just being a typical chow. So classes may not be the answer to his socialization with humans. But her outlook is that it will teach us both good communication skills with each other if I'll keep up with it. And it may turn out to be a fun thing for both of us. So we'll see how it goes. I don't get to spend alot of time with Koda during the week because I work, so evenings and weekends, when I go, Kodie goes with 99% of the time, or I don't go. And I refuse to spend the time I do get to spend with him battling over the small stuff. He doesn't have to like everyone, nor does he have to allow everyone he comes in contact with to pet him. I would just like to see him a bit more relaxed and less fearful. We spent the better part of today and this evening at my daughters house and of course Koda went with. He must at least tolerate it there, because he knows exactly what door to go to when we walk on campus and up to the building she lives in. He has 6 doors to choose from and he always goes to Jodi's door... even if he hasn't been there for a week or 2. Tonight Koda let Jodi feed him fried rice ( yeah people food... LOL) from a spoon and while she was sitting in the middle of her living room floor folding clothes, he laid down right beside and behind her a little bit. He was close enough where she could pet him and he did let him for a little bit. So he's taking baby steps. Will classes help... probably not with the people issue. But it may be a fun thing for he and I to do together.
Nancy and Tai