A new Pee Spot!!

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Mika's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

A new Pee Spot!!

Post by Mika's Mom »

Hi There Everyone!

So, as I am sure most of you are, we had enough with the large yellow burn spots in the backyard from our girl peeing on the grass (we also have a very small backyard). So during our landscaping design, we incorporated a nice med-large size area off to one side and filled it with pea-stone for her to pee on!

Now the challenge lays in trying to get her to actually pee on her new "spot". Mika is only 21 months old and is a very good and well trained dog, but this is stumping us. I have even tried gathering some of her pee and pouring it over her pea-stone area so she can recognize her scent. We also bring her to her "spot" and tell her to go for a pee (which she seems to know what it is).

Any suggestions??

Sarah
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

LOL Sara, that sounds like a dream come true for my Special Dark! He'd love to have an elevated stone to mark.

It sounds like you're doing the right thing if that's what you want her to use. What you might try is going back to the pottyr training absics with this in that maybe you could take her on leash to the area when you knwo she'll have to go- so say when she gets up in the morning (for example), and tell her to go potty, if she doesn't go within 5 minutes then go back inside but keep her on leash for about 10 minutes (keeping her on leash through it all) and then take her back out and so on until she does go. You just don't want to stay out longer than 5 minutes so she doesn't have the time to start doing other things. Good luck!
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
Mika's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mika's Mom »

Thanks chowfrnd88! I will see if that works...you're right though - if she doesn't go, she usually just sits/lays down on the grass and daydreams with her head high in the air....she's so cute!

I will try that techinique and see if it works :)

Sarah

PS- Too bad she doesn't like to "mark" her territory...she won't even really pee or poo outside her backyard area! A very private girl she is....