Housebreaking my new addition

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Nalachow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Housebreaking my new addition

Post by Nalachow »

I recently rescued Nala who is 3 from a kill shelter here. She was a outside Chow and for the most part has adapted well to her new indoor living. However I walk her and she does a little territory marking but no full relieving of the bladder. She is waiting until she is back in the house for that. Is there something I can do to get her on track. The whole bad dog thing doesnt seem to work with her as she just sits there and wags her tail. I love her to pieces but this sure is frustrating.
enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by enchantedonyx »

Hmm, only ever housebroke a small puppy (Zoe). Tess and Tacia were fully housebroken when they came to live with us. With puppies, you take them out right after they've eaten and you keep them out- walking, playing, obedience training, etc until they go. And then praise praise praise! Reward them when they go outside. Don't punish for doing it wrong, just reward for doing it right. I imagine it would be the same for an adult dog. Except that they usually don't need to go as soon after eating as a pup.

Also, get a good enzymatic cleaner (Nature's Miracle or something similar) and really clean the places she's going in the house. If she can smell it, she will go there again. You need to get the urine smell out of the carpet or floor where she is going.

Chows are very smart and very clean. If you praise her/treat her for going outside, she'll get the picture really quickly- oh, they want me to pee outside? Okay, I'll do that!

Good luck!
~Renae
<br>

Banner thanks to Wildthings. Sizing thanks to Sweetpea.