Need help training not normal chow behavior or maybe it is??

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sumreyn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Need help training not normal chow behavior or maybe it is??

Post by sumreyn »

This is my first time wiht a chow puppy (she is a chow mix) I have no idea what she is mixed with ( she is a rescue dog) I have had a chow before but she was an adult when I got her. Vixen is about 4 months old and she is wild she jumps and mouths and when I do get her to calm down a little so that I can pet her she rolls on her belly and scratches and bite/mouths me, it is not agressive biting but I do not want her to think this is acceptable behavior! I also have children and I cannot have them around her at this point she is to our of control but I know it is very important to socialize her. I have tried telling her no and ignoring her but she just jumps more and bites at my feet I can get her to sit sometimes when I have treats. Any help or suggestions are welcome!!!
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

Sounds like a puppy full of itself. I never had a puppy however i think sooner training started the better , needs Polite Puppy training .. if treat oriented some swear by clicker training .

http://www.chowwelfare.com/cciw/pupbites.htm

good luck
chris

Post by chris »

That sounds like behavior of ANY puppy. Like Bubba said, if you haven't started already... time to sign up for puppy classes.
When the puppy "mouths" you.. grab her tounge and just hold it.. At least thats what we did with Steel.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Victory did a great post on 'bite inhibition' a while ago. If you put that into the 'search' facility (2nd from left of the buttons at the top) you should find it.

Let us know how you're getting along,

Layla
Thank you Elodie!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Butters was always doing that as a puppy. He was super playful. I don't remember when he quit doing it. But I think it was after training when I got his mind on other things. Of course when we would just play it didn't bother me as much. Sharp teeth though!!!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Sounds like Boogie when he was a puppy too. I almost took him back to the rescue because of his mouthiness. We took him to puppy classes and it was a huge help. They told us to yell really loudly ouch (which startled him) and then stand up and ignore him. It took a while because he would bite our legs but with consistency it worked. Chows are very smart. They just think they know more than you. You will have to convince her that there will be no fun if she is biting. She will catch on. I would definately enroll her in a puppy class right away.
sumreyn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sumreyn »

Thanks for all your help and ideas! I was worried to even try to get her out to puppy classes since she is so crazy. I was begining to wonder if I had a wild dog she seems to be calming a bit now :D I am not used to this whole puppy thing my other chow was older when I got her. I guess all of the dirty work was done for me! Thanks again for all your help! I love this site and am glad I found it.
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Boogie got his name Boogie Man because he was such a terror as a puppy. He would run around with a wild eyed look and mouth everything. Then he would fall sound asleep and then wake up and do it all over again. He only had two speeds turbo and crashed out. :P He ripped my daughters pant leg to shreds while she was wearing them once. The two were having a battle of wills. :roll: He quickly learned though that if he wanted to be part of the family and not sitting in a crate, he had to behave. Give her a little time. I think she will settle down.
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

HA HA.. YUP, holes in my shirts, sweatshirts... Not my jeans though but he DOES grab them! And believe it or not, Sid knows exactly how much pant leg to grab so he doesn't bite my legs.

My Mom SWEARS he thinks my clothes are fur because he doesn't do it as much if I'm in short sleeves or shorts. LOL
TechTronix
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TechTronix »

your pup sounds alot like mine =) Celeste is about 4 1/2 months old..she's not mixed with anything and we went through this stage. You definately need to step in and get this under control while she's somewhat smallish loL I can really only give advice on what has worked/works for my chows so basically its trial and error.
Screaming OUCH in a high pictched *I'm hurting* kinda voice made both of my chows react. I would start with that and try it for about 7-10 days. If u dont see any improvement, Do what a mama dog would do. When she gets too rough..Say *No* in a firm voice and then stop playing with her. Ignore her if you must. Eventually you will see a difference. Remember chows are stubborn so dont stop trying after a week. Have patience and good luck :-)
klucas
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by klucas »

My baby chow chow does the same thing. What teeth! I constantly have huge scratches all down my arms from her tiny baby teeth. I've gotten her tons of chew toys and she destroys them all. I love rough housing with her though, and she's superbly playful and loves to stir up a fuss. She's figured out when it's okay to bite and when it isn't. She understands the difference of when I'm playing with her and when she needs to behave. I consistently hold her muzzle closed for a couple of seconds and say "Petra, no biting." Now, when she gets out of line and bites when it isn't playtime, all I have to say is "no biting" and she'll retract.

Such a little stinker. :)
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

TechTronix wrote:so basically its trial and error.
:-)
YOU'RE TELLING THE TRUTH HERE THAT'S FOR SURE!!!

trial and error in order...

1-saying "ouch" = throws Sid into a MORE playful mood and zoomies begin!!

2-saying "NO" = same reaction

3-saying "NO BITING" = stops sometimes

4-ignoring Sid and putting him on a time out = WORKS THE BEST!

HAHAHAHA :lol:
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

THat is funny, Because when Butters was a puppy and we did the saying "ouch" thing, he actually would bite harder. We were wondering if he would ever outgrow it.
SweetPea Rocks!!
Timbersmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Timbersmom »

I am so glad I glanced at this topic! Actually have been thinking just this last couple of days how bratty Timber has been acting. She's 4 1/2 mo old, does go to puppy classes, has been really good with the mouthing stuff, but now when I get those sweet little kisses I feel her teeth nick me a little, and I KNOW it wasn't an accident. It was sort of a test to see if I noticed it. So I've been getting onto her about it but it's 'worth it' to her to still give it a try. I do the saying ouch thing, and I think she get's a real kick out of that! No sorryness noted, and she kind of swaggers as she walks off!
Seems like terrible twos. This is my first baby chow and it's not the same as a collie puppy for sure.
I came home from work today and I think she grew an inch in the last 8 hrs, and her attitude grew along with it. She's ferociously teasing the other 2 dogs, and they don't think it's so cute either, So there's a lot of noise and motion in the yard and they look SO happy when she finally tires and takes a break.
Everything she does has SO MUCH ENERGY behind it. I have been working with her pretty much every day and rewarding with treats and praise, and she used to be, even a week ago, pretty cooperative about say, being brushed--now you'd think noone had EVER worked with her, she's a whirling dirvish--it's a little disheartening.
It's got to be her age, it's got to be a stage, it won't last forever.....
So I just gave her a hug, and I got a bunch of enthusiastic kisses from her, and mixed in there, I got nicked by her teeth--screamed ouch! And she laughed!!