digging in the back yard

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

divamom
Rank 1
Rank 1

digging in the back yard

Post by divamom »

ok how do i teach diva not to dig in the yard. i want to fix the yard. put seeds so my grass can grow but diva cant be left alone she has made a mess already. can any one help me i need to train her thank you
vtxandy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by vtxandy »

My humble opion is that they dig because they're bored. Walk him/her more often and let them be inside with you.
I have to remember that that's how dogs explore they're whole world. They walk to find water and food. They walk to find others...etc. If you walk your chow twice or more a day and allow it to be inside with you more often, I bet the problem stops on it's own.
Hope that helps
In most loving memory of TINKER
12-4-1991 -- 12-21-2006
Our son, friend and teacher
divamom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by divamom »

hello diva is a house dog. we walk her but i let her go out to the back yard when its nice and she just starts to dig. she is always inside with me. she is just a puppy and always exploring
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Give her a doggie bed with a twin or full size blanket thrown on top.
She can dig in the blanket. This should satisfy her urge to dig. The only other thing I can think of, is she may not like being outside alone and is simply bored or anxious.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

i suggest you find a spot where a hole would be ok , under a bush or out of sight and start a hole ,
then let the digging go on , Do i remember a picture of milly and mable with a hole under a bush big enough to hide in ?

its part of the nesting behavior i think , Every fall they dig a hole in the front yard , then sleep in it , they have been working on the current hole all winter , spring i fill it up and plant seeds , this has gone n several years , they espically like the current hole and i feel bad about filling it up but its in the middle of the front yard !!

i hope they will choose a place for a hole that suits me so i can leave it for them ,
Chow boy is working on one next to the front porch under a bush , i don't think i will fill that one ..

the front yard holes are a good thing in some ways , the soil and lawn is not all that good so each hole gets good soil and new seed , . then i poot a tiny fence around it untill growth starts good , they have never redug a hole yet

michael
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

here is another good thing about letting chows dig holes .
they might dig up soomething worth while !!!Chow boy dug up a gold ring with what looks like diamonds in it out of the front yard!!!, found it in his hole today , true its only 18K gold and the diamonds would classify as chips [ maybe 1/10 carat ] but there are 18 of these little stones .I guess 18 little ensy diamonds will payfor a lifetimes worth of dirt and grass seed for a chow.

he digs every time he goes to bed , he comes in and digs on the rug , some times he beds there , some time he just digs a while and goes elsewhere, he digs one front leg at a time most methodocally , dig dig dig with one leg , then dig dig dig with the other , he is in no great hurry with it

michael
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Check for gophers also, Pekoe's not a digger but becouse of a gohper she tore apart someone's newly laid lawn in about an hour while we were gone. The bed is a good idea Pekoe stomps and digs in the bed, never uses it for anything else.

The walking twice aday might help also, Pekoe has a big backyard and gets walked 2 or 3 times a day.

The single hole, that works also, Pekoe does have one hole way in the back that she digs and snorts, she never digs anywhere else.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
divamom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by divamom »

thank you all i love all the advice. sounds like a good idea she does not like to be out alone. i am also putting a blanket on her bed, and i have to walk her every day i get so busy but i am going to do it. she likes to play with slugs she bounces them in her mouth and when they stopping moving she piles them all in one spot. i just found her stash, i am really surprised when she is doing this i cant catch her to take the slugs away :roll: :lol: