How do I get Zoe to leave Riley the cat alone

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Wollfie
Rank 1
Rank 1

How do I get Zoe to leave Riley the cat alone

Post by Wollfie »

O.K., I have had enough. It started off slowly, gradually gaining momentum. In the beginning, I didn’t pay much attention to them, as I thought they would eventually work it out and. I figured that Zoe would become bored with this growling, hissing, and potentially dangerous housemate. She has not. She is now even more determined to “get her”. What she plans on doing to her if this ever happens is unclear to me. I am not sure if she would kill her – intentionally or accidentally – but may soon find out if she doesn’t leave the frigging cat alone.

Every time she sees the cat, she has to chase her, ultimately trying to corner her. I am so sick and tired of yelling, “Zoe, leave her alone, NOW!” Strangely enough, this does work. She will stop harassing her when told to. However, I don’t want to continue saying this 20 times a day.

How do I get Zoe to LEAVE RILEY (the cat) ALONE? You would think that after getting clawed in the face few times, she would get the hint, but nooooooooo!

Image[alt+p]
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

wolfie, i dont know if this will work for you, but it helped me. i put some change in a band aid tin, and shook it everytime she was biting the cat. she hated the sound. eventually she stopped. now they are pretty good with each other. good luck. ps. the can shaking worked with some other stuf too.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

I used a pop can filled with pennies. It was the other way around, Eddie, the black male cat would put chow Luna in the corner. Slowly the other cats would stand behind him. They would make the most horrible noises and move closer to Luna until finally Eddie would pounce on Luna. I'd get the tin out, the cats would run. Then I'd give Luna a treat and take her for a walk. Eventually Eddie stopped harrassing Luna the chow.Pop tins are loud, if I was to encounter the same problem now, I'd probably use a large juice can, that would make more noise. Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

waternight
Rank 0
Rank 0

Help with Chow and Cat...

Post by waternight »

Wollfie,

Can you please provide an update as to how your cat, Riley, is doing with Zoe?

I recently adopted a 5 year old Chow Chow and he is not getting along with the cat. I tried twice to introduce them, but each time the dog would attack the cat.

Thanks,
Lisa
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Shaking the can/bottle with some pennies/coins in it when your Chow goes after the cat will help reinforce the fact that you do not approve of him/her chasing the cat.
Your cat and Chow need to work things out but you'll have to be there to save the cat or your Chow from getting hurt.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
jaxsun_12
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jaxsun_12 »

Jack chases both my cats, the one he plays with and davin loves him, but kaige doesnt like him at all. Just yesterday he'd had enough and thwacked jacks nose, after being warned a few times of course. He hasnt chased him since :lol:
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

I think you'll have to define why your chow is chasing the cat. Is it because he's 'hunting', your cat? or is it simply because he wants to play.

Many chows have hunting instincts so strong that no amount of can shaking or throwing is going to help - it may work while you are there, but once you are not there your cat could be in serious peril. and yes, a dog can easily kill at cat.

On the other hand some just want to play in which case they two of them will ultimately work out their play techniques.

From what you are describing, I fear that it's possible you have a chow who's looking at your cat with a "hunting" attitude and not a 'playing' one. I hope for you that things tone down.

Cheers best of luck
MM
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!