crates

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Maxwell
Rank 0
Rank 0

crates

Post by Maxwell »

as you all know Max is 4 months... does anyone keep their semi house broken puppy in a crate. if so how long? how does the daily routeen work out. my puppy seems to like to pee after he has been taken out. so my husband won't let him out during the day. he says he needs to learn that he can only pee out side. he is on a schdule on when he goes and does fine, but for some reason he likes to pee once on the carpet. and its only the size of a quarter. so its not like its a normal pee. i hate to see him the crate all day. i usually let him out and he plays until he pees then he has to go back. is this normal?

Crates

Post by Guest »

:( No, I don't think keeping a puppy in a crate all day is normal at all. In fact, I think it is awful.
However, it all depends on your circumstances.
Do you have a house with access to a garden? Or do you live in an apartment.
If you live in a house, you should start to train the puppy immediately to newspaper on the floor by the back door, presumably in the kitchen with more paper by the door where the kitchen joins the next room. If you have a baby gate you could put it up between the kitchen and the room. In that way, you can keep the puppy off the carpet.
He is never going to learn not to spend a penny on the carpet unless he knows and is taught what is expected of him.
A puppy usually wants to spend a penny as soon as it wakes up. Also after it has been fed - the next thing is outside to spend a penny then told he is a good boy etc.
If you live in an apartment, I am not sure what to do. Others on the site you have raised a puppy in an appartment will be able to tell you how they coped. I have read that a Chow Chow can be trained to use a litter tray rather like a cat.
There is one thing for sure, this little chow boy is never going to learn if he is shut in a crate all day.
When my Milly was a baby chow, she was only six weeks old when we brought her home, she very quickly learnt that paper was for spending a penny on.
So take serious stock and work out an immediate and radical training programme for him.
If necessary, use the kitchen as a ' great bit crate ' if you see what I mean. Chow chows are usually very quick to become house-trained and he will learn very quickly - but you must be serious about it and put the effort in and it is all day effort, every day until he has got the message.

Good luck and keep in touch. :)
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

That last post was from me - I forgot to log in! :oops: :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Maxwell
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Maxwell »

ok he just did it and i put him in the crate. so what should i do!>?!?!?!?!? i do live in an apartment. spend a penny is cute but very much on the money. cause he just eat like 20 min ago. so now that he has spent his penny should i take him out? how do i paper train? i thought of puttin paper out on the balcony, but my husband said no... his is the maintainance supervisor and seen what it does to the wood. but these people didn't use paper. i really really want to get this resolved!!! so please help! :cry:
Maxwell
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Maxwell »

i just took him out and he went. so i think i got the 1/2 hour after he eats down. does he have to spend a penny or is that just his way of sayin he has to go?
kingalls

Max - training/crate

Post by kingalls »

Although many have crate trained their dogs, I don't find it reasonable for any human or animal to go for hours and hours without being able to spend a penny or bundle! Nor do I think it very good to keep them cooped up in a crate. I know others may think it's okay but I just ask myself if I would want to be in a crate for hours on end. My Shiloh never had any formal training but she has never done anything in the house. My Mr. N sleeps in the garage at night and I do still leave papers for him to use. He's not very accurate but he does try...maybe he just gets confused after going in circles so many times? So I have two examples. We all have our unique situations and you will find what works for you and your environment.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Private Messages

Post by Judy Fox »

Carmell, Good morning. :)

I have sent you two private messages - I sent one to you that I think arrived with you, then another which arrived back with me so I reetyped it and sent it to you again! I do get puzzled sometimes with this ! :?
Maxwell
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Maxwell »

morning Judy,

I got 2 yesterday, i replyed... did you not get it? but none today.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Hello Carmell,

No I have not been able to get the messages - I received an e-mail saying there were messages for me and to click on to get them then it came up "page not able to be displayed". :( I tried several times. But so long as you got my messaages. My e-mail is FredJudyFox@aol.com :) :)