Need Some Advice!! How do I get him comfortable??

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

PurpleKisses
Rank 2
Rank 2

Need Some Advice!! How do I get him comfortable??

Post by PurpleKisses »

Well, I just found out this morning that I am 4 weeks pregnant. I want to get started now on getting Chi-Ching used to babies. When Andrea, my nieces daughter(5 months) comes over, he acts petrified!! He comes up to sniff her and then runs. He is not aggressive at all, but really confused.

So what is the best way to get him used to the idea of a baby in the house??
Chi-Ching
http://www.katzphotography.net
littlebigzbunnies.weebly.com
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Unfortunately, I don't have any advice- we don't have any kids. But, I wanted to say Congratulations!!!
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

Last edited by bubba on Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Yeah like Bubba says get all the baby stuff set up and all the powders and other baby smells and maybe even go to the toy store and buy one of those life size baby looking dolls that cry and and move and leave it laying around so Chi-ching can get used to all those horrible baby smells, I hate the smell of baby powder. If Chi-ching can live with that terrible smell of baby wipes he should be fine.

You do notice its the guys that are giving you advice.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
PurpleKisses
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PurpleKisses »

LOL, I love the smell of baby powder!!! And Bubba, we have two daughters already but that was good advice. I think the girls have some talking/crying babies somewhere. I can use them.
Chi-Ching
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

the local high school makes all the seniors,boys and girls take a course where they carry around robot baby, they did it during prom week i think , pretty funny huh ?

maybe teach the chow to wear a pulling harness and hitch a baby carrage up to it , i saw an olld pic once with a chow harnesed to cart with children on board .
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

I don't have small children. Chow and cats only. I had visitors who brought their 2 yr old twin boys. My chow girl sniffed, she let them grab her tail at one point. When she had enough of the noise, she hid under the dining room table. That is usually her den when she doesn't want to bother with some visitors.
I used to baby sit a couple of young kids, my other chow reacted the same way. Walked away when she had enough. I taught the kids to respect the chow's need for quiet time.
The previous posters gave excellent advice. You have many months to prepare for the event. Congratulations. And don't worry too much, it will work out. I don't believe leaving any kind of dog alone with kids, that's just my opinion.

karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

a duplicate delete , t
Last edited by bubba on Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Congrats! When I brought Haley home, I had a boxer. Everytime she cried, he got worried, and would pace between me and Haley until I could attend to her. I had had a C section, so I couldn't just jump right up and get her. Within a few days, he became desensitized, and became Haley's best buddy and protector. I never, ever made Bud stay away. If he wanted to lay on the floor next to us, I didn't put up a fuss about him touching her baby things (not really much of a germ phobe). I think that is key. I didn't separate Haley from anyone else in the family, why deny my only other 'baby' access? I think Chingers will do fine.
PurpleKisses
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PurpleKisses »

Thanks so much!! I have a feeling he will be great and be just as protective over this baby as he is over the girls. I am not concerned with germs either, he will be almost two when the baby is born!
Chi-Ching
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Summer! First important thing - relax.

When we had our first Dane, Jenny, there was just us and our son and eldest daughter who were small 3 and 2 yrs.
Then I became pregnant with our younger daughter.

I know Danes and chow chows are different but I just remained calm and considered it all normal.

I let Jenny see the baby clothes and as the time drew nearer, I made up the crib and let her look in it.

When Rhiannon was born, I brought her home and just sat down and held her. I let Jen sniff her and I cuddled Jen with one arm as I held Rhiannon with the other. We went on from there.

We let her watch the baby bathed and changed and fed and during all of this I remained calm.

Jen used to guard the baby in her pram in the garden and when Rhiannon started to crawl she would crawl over to Jen in her big basket and crawl in with her, put her head on her rib cage, stick her thumb in her mouth and go to sleep. Jen could actually get out of her basket so gently that Rhiannon would stay in the dog basket still fast asleep and even more, she could get back in the basket and curl round and lie down without waking Rhiannon or hurting her.

Again, I know that Danes and Chow Chows are different but my best advise is - treat the whole situation as normal. It is normal for you being pregnant and Chi Ching will, I think, consider the whole thing as normal so long as you do.

I am so happy for you as I know you have been considering this and can only offer my good wishes.

So remember, N for Normal.

Let him see the little clothes and as has been suggested sprinkle a little baby powder so that he gets accostomer to the smell.

Get everything out maybe a little sooner than you would so that he gets used to the crib, and then the highchair, pram, buggy - whatever.

And Good luck.

Are you hoping for a boy or a girl? or don't you care!! :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
dchernandez
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dchernandez »

I don't have kids, so no advice. But, congratulations on the new addition :D
Claudia & Riley
PurpleKisses
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PurpleKisses »

Thanks Everyone!! Judy, thanks for the advice! We do not care if it is a boy or girl, we would like another girl but we have never had a boy and so that could be fun too.....I just don't know!!
Chi-Ching
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Congratulations on the baby!
If you are relaxed your chow will be relaxed, seriously don't worry.
I agree with all Bubba had to say, he took the words right out of my mouth.
The only thing I can add is this...
take a baby blanket and have your 5 month old niece sleep with it for a while to get the baby's scent on it. Do not wash it, bring it home and wrap a baby doll in it. I know this is a different scent than your baby will be, but it does introduce a new smell and activity.
Hold the baby doll just as you would a real baby and never leave the baby doll unattended with the chow. If you are not in the mood to practice "mommy" then put the doll high in a closet or something away from the chow.
Just don't get one of those "Bride of Chucky" type dolls or your chow really will go nuts! :D

The idea of a harness to pull the baby...well, I did that with my two children. My kids were 3 and 6 when we got our first chow. But, oh how my chows played with my kids and the neighborhood kids, pulling them (one at at time) while they sat on a skate board!!! :lol:

Again, congrats on the baby...relax, you'll be fine.
Boggled
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Boggled »

Congratulations!!!! No advice - using the info your getting for myself :) - Because hopefully I will be right behind you.
PurpleKisses
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PurpleKisses »

Thanks everyone and Good Luck Boggled!!
Chi-Ching
KosterChow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KosterChow »

My husband & I just had our first baby this past January. She is now 10 months old and is all over our Chow, Midnight. I agree with all the advice you got above -- and I really do believe that the 2 most important things are to act like this is totally a normal event, and that it's nothing to be scared or nervous about. Also, we did the same thing as others suggested -- just setting up the baby's room and letting the dogs (we have 3 total) have free roam to sniff and check things out on their own time and turf.

We never got the life-size baby doll because we didn't want to deal with that hassel, honestly. But before I came home from the hospital, my husband brought home our daughter's first cap that she wore as soon as she was born and then 2 different blankets that we had wrapped her up in while there. He said he just laid all of that one the floor and let the dogs just sniff, lick, bite/chew, roll on it - whatever they wanted to do.

Then the day we came home from the hospital, I held Summer (that's our daughter) in my arms while Nick brought each dog in individually and let them sniff until they were satisfied.

After that, we had no problems with any of them being jealous, snippy, etc. We also are not too concerned about germs as you are - so you should be fine! :) Midnight, our Chow, is the most tolerant of our daughter out of all three dogs, so I wouldn't worry too much! :)

CONGRATS and enjoy the pregnancy! :)
PurpleKisses
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PurpleKisses »

Hey!!! My name is Summer!!! (Good Choice!) LOL

Thanks for all the advice and thanks for all the congratulations!!
Chi-Ching
jasmine
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jasmine »

COngrats! A baby on the way! A year ago I brought my newborn twins home - I had 4 dogs (my Chow has since passed away:(. Anyway when the babies came home my husband right away put them on the floor in their car seats and we let the dogs come up and sniff them (we of course we right there). Also we always let them in the babies room before and after they were born - so they didn't feel shut out or segregated. My dogs are also my babies- they actually are the ones who have always and continue to sleep in our room. Have fun and try not to worry.
enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by enchantedonyx »

I have no kids and I think everyone else got all the advice I would have given so I think the only thing left is...

Congratulations!
~Renae
<br>

Banner thanks to Wildthings. Sizing thanks to Sweetpea.
PurpleKisses
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PurpleKisses »

:D Thanks!!!!!
Chi-Ching
TXSusiQ
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TXSusiQ »

Congrats!!!

this is a great thread - we're trying and it will be my first child so this is all great stuff to know and try!!!
Mommy to Cabo
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Wow, you got great advice. I know I'm late, but Congrats Summer!!!!!!!!!!! :D
PurpleKisses
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PurpleKisses »

Thanks!!!
Chi-Ching