General Chow Attitude Question

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

We do fine with the standard rolled leather collar and retractible lead. If we're in an unfamiliar place, she'll get intoxicated with all the new sights and smells, forget herself, and start pulling. I'll reel her in to the heel position for a few minutes, and then she'll be fine again, and I'll let the lead back out..

I got royally "owned" a few times during the training process, tho, and wonder how many others in the same position have chow-related rotator cuff problems as a result. :lol:
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
Jed
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jed »

Chows usually dont have a strong feeling to please their owners like other breeds do.
Hello chow lovers
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

You've gotten some great advice so far, but one more thing.
Working with rescued dogs I can tell you...it takes time.
I honestly think you are expecting too much of him right now.
Whether you realize it or not, he is under stress. YOU know he is there to stay, but he doesn't. As much as I babied my last rescue, a Shih Tzu, it took her 8 months to be relaxed with me. She paced, she fretted and whined for 8 months! Chows are much more reserved than a Shih Tzu therefore, it may take a year or more to see his personally shine and that's working with him daily. The quicker you can establish a routine, the better for both of you. Chows are not cuddly babies, except on their terms. LOL Chows are not labrador retrievers either, hence the name "retriever" they like to fetch. The great thing about chows is they are low energy compared with many other breeds, they are restless dogs eating up your furniture.
They are calm and independent. Some will follow you around, but for the most part they find a special place in the house and guard the house. Chows make excellent guard dogs because they stick to business and not play.
Hopefully, you chose a chow because you wanted those characteristics. If you want to play fetch, leave that to the retrievers. Chows were bred to guard Chinese Imperial Courts, and to this day that is what they are excellent at.
Just like children all dogs are different, if you chow prefers to watch while your retriever fetches, then OK.