Chows with Roommates?

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ErinMariel
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chows with Roommates?

Post by ErinMariel »

Hi everyone- I am new to this site and hoping to get a little advice. I have been thinking about adopting an adult dog, and think that a Chow would be a good match for me in many ways.

I have done quite a bit of research and the one thing that I am concerned about is the fact that I live in a house with two roommates. One of them is very comfortable with dogs and the other likes dogs, but isn't really a "dog person." I am concerned that a Chow might take advantage of the second roommate and that she would not feel comfortable living with the dog.

I am sure this depends on the dog, but if anyone has any general thoughts I'd appreciate it! Also, I did a bit of searching on this site and couldn't find anything specifically about this issue but sorry if I'm reposting.

Thanks in advance! Erin
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

You might want to be a little more specific about your concerns. I'm not sure how the chow would "take advantage" of the second roommate. It may not be a problem that she's not really a dog person. Even if she just ignores the Chow, he will probably just ignore her in return. Sometimes they are more like big furry cats who bark, than like other dogs. If you leave them alone, they leave you alone. If you don't leave them alone, they may still leave you alone unless you are really annoying. Maybe they're kinda like roommates, too. :)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

You also might want to consider the roommate situation if one moves out or you decide to move, what happens to the Chow. Finding a place the will accept a Chow is almost impossible because of insurances and other rules. Unless you own the house and won't be moving.
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

You never no, the roomate who isnt a big dog person may end up totally in love with the Chow. My oldest daughter was very down on the idea of me getting a Chow. Even when I first brought Gracie home, she thought Gracie was cute but had nothing good to say about Chows. Well the two turned in to great friends. My daughter adores Gracie, and Gracie adores her. So you just never no. They just seem to have a way of winning people over who spend any amount of time around them.
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

How do you think the one roommate will react to the chow?

If she will respect the chow, chances are they will get along fine. If she won't, then you are likely to have problems. But if she is respectful and just ignores the chow, and isn't afraid of it, the chow will probably ignore her.

But think about what Jeff said, too. Will you be able to keep a place that will allow the chow to stay. I know there are people on here that rent with chows, but it can be very difficult. Are you willing to do what it takes to keep the chow if the living arrangements change?

Just some things to think about.
ErinMariel
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ErinMariel »

Sorry, to clarify: my concern stems from the fact that I have never lived with a Chow, but have lived with a Shiba Inu and am under the impression that they tend to be similarly protective of their homes. The Shiba would give people entering the house a hard time (growling, etc) especially those people who were not confident when dealing with him. This included people who lived in the house.

If I were to adopt a dog, I would want him/her to have the run of the whole house. If there is some likelihood that a Chow would try protect the house from my roommate, I don't think that would be fair to her. What I guess I'm asking is how likely that is to happen. Does that make sense? I know that my roommate will absolutely respect the dog, but can't ask her to live with an animal that she would be at all afraid of.

Also, I have definitely taken into account that dogs are a lifetime committment and that Chows are frequently on prohibited lists in apartment buildings.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

It makes sense, The way my Chow is once I go to bed that's it, if someone needs to come in the house after I go to bed there is no way they are getting in the house. My daughter and grandson live with me and if my daughter goes out even though my Chow knows her and I've gone to bed, no way, I have to get up and let her in, my Chow will let no one in no matter who it is after lock down time, That's jail talk. That's just the way my Chow is I don't know about the other's but I would think it would be some what the same.
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Lily and my husband are polite strangers. Lily will sound an alert when my husband gets up in the morning, and when she knows he is coming in the house. She does it to irritate. He says knock it off, and Lily is happy. She doesn't take it any further, though. We left her alone with him over a weekend this summer, so they had to get along. I think as long as the Chow knows the roster of people who live there, they are fine.
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

ErinMariel wrote:Sorry, to clarify: my concern stems from the fact that I have never lived with a Chow, but have lived with a Shiba Inu and am under the impression that they tend to be similarly protective of their homes. The Shiba would give people entering the house a hard time (growling, etc) especially those people who were not confident when dealing with him. This included people who lived in the house.

If I were to adopt a dog, I would want him/her to have the run of the whole house. If there is some likelihood that a Chow would try protect the house from my roommate, I don't think that would be fair to her. What I guess I'm asking is how likely that is to happen. Does that make sense? I know that my roommate will absolutely respect the dog, but can't ask her to live with an animal that she would be at all afraid of.

Also, I have definitely taken into account that dogs are a lifetime committment and that Chows are frequently on prohibited lists in apartment buildings.
Congrats on your choice to get a Chow. If they get in your blood you may never want another breed. With that said, they are more of a responsibility than other breeds,and with more rewards IMHO. Protective, loyal, aloof, very intelligent, proud, regal and stubborn. You really dont know how things are going to turn out until you get one home. I think there are some people that Chows dont like for whatever reason, and you never can tell until they stick their hand down there and find out. Best thing is to avoid any negative imprinting with you, your roommates, and anybody else who comes over. As somebody already said, and this is for the new people who come over and want to make nice with your Chow, would be for them to ignore him/her. Let the Chow come to them , or not. If they don't go near that person them so be it. Just don't try to force anybody on him/her.

As far as roommates go, they will pick on who is who and probably regard all those there before him/her as leaders. And as such you three need to establish a positive alpha role or your Chow will in fact run the house and that may not be the healthiest way to go about it (ok they will anyway but at least make the effort :P ). Just make sure that they don't undermine any efforts you are making with regards to training.

Lastly, if you get an adult, and I hope you do rescue one, find one that chooses you...if you know what I mean. :wink:
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

If that's what you're talking about, I think it would really depend on the chow. If you get a chow that is mild mannered, the chances of that would be reduced.

In this case, the dog will become accustomed to all three of you at the same time. There's a good likelihood that he will see all three of you as "his" people to be in the house. The only exception would be if one of you is afraid of him. He will sense this very quickly.

I would think that there might be more problems if one of the roommates leaves and another comes in.

Best of luck,

Yvonne and Brandon
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

The closest I have been to having a roommate with my Chow was when my seven year old grand-daughter visited for a week this summer. I brought her in to the house after picking her up from the airport. Benny sniffed, Aria stroked and they were best friends (although she preferred Lady and claimed her as her dog, I just get to take care of her for Aria)
LuLu33
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by LuLu33 »

I think chows tend to know who is afraid of them and some may take advantage of that...aka take the alpha role and others may ignore and care less. I've had both. It takes time to build up the trust issue. If she's willing to respect the dog and not be fearful and run and scream I can't see a problem. I don't know what her personality is but if she's cool calm and collected, I don't think it's an issue. If she's outwardly fearful or overly dramatic it could be a fun challenge for the chow depending on it's personality. Does that make sense? If she's willing, take her with you when you go pick one out. That would help a whole bunch with your analysis. Good Luck!
ErinMariel
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ErinMariel »

Thank you all for the great advice! My roommate has a good head on her shoulders and would not freak out (scream etc) with an unfriendly dog. (When we had a squirrel get into our house, I was the one who hid in the bathroom while she looked for it! Haha...)

That said, I just can't have a dog that won't respect both of my roommates (this includes growling, not letting them enter the house, etc)--it's just not fair to them to feel threatened AND I don't want to have to crate/confine a dog while I'm not at home.

I definitely have a little more thinking to do, but all your advice and opinions are very helpful. Maybe fostering would be a good option for us to sort of feel things out.
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

That sounds like a very good decision to me. Some Chow gets a second chance at life, and you guys get to see what's going to happen. Everyone wins! :D
mytwodoxies
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mytwodoxies »

I think that part of it also depends on what kind of household you keep.

Every roommate situation is different.

If you keep your home (all mutually agreed) as a sanctuary
after work, probably have reasonably reliable schedules and don't allow a lot of drop in guests and the party is at someone else's house that is a more workable situation tahn if the other roommates have tons of friends who have the housekey (and that is a problem whether the roommate is 18 or 80 i have found!!)

I do offer one bit of advice from experience. Have the dog on YOUR schedule as far as food goes, etc. Don't rely on your roommates to care for the dog in your abscence unless they become attached to the dog and offer "hey ...when you go away in December i would love to take care of Scruffy.."

I was in a roommate situation where she had two cats. I never had a cat before and i liked her cats. But i didn't like the fact that she would just take off with her boyfriend and "assume i was going to be home all weekend to feed them and change their litter box" because one weekend she assumed wrong and arrangements needed to be made as i had previously planned to visit relatives out of town.