Teething issues

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

samanthajadey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Teething issues

Post by samanthajadey »

Hi, my chow is 2 months old and I will be starting he will be going out in the real world soon as he has had his second jabs. I tried putting the harness on him and gently walking him in the house and he seems to cry when I do this. Is there anyway I can overcome this?

Also, my chow is biting everything in sight, I give him a firm no and try and give him a toy to chew sintead but he cos tangly at my ankles or legs when he has a burst of energy. Any tips are very much welcome!

Thank you :-)
MorganOfTheFey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Teething issues

Post by MorganOfTheFey »

When he bites you, stop the play immediately. You can still tell him no, but be sure to either turn away from him and ignore him for 10 seconds or physically walk away if you need to. If you have an area where you can go but he can't, like a room blocked off by a baby gate or similar, step in there for the few seconds. Don't put him in time out in a crate unless that is the only reason you're using the crate. If you also want him to sleep in there, stay in it for potty training, use it for car rides or when guests are over, or crate him during the day, don't turn the crate into a punishment.

In addition to teaching him that playing with you stops if he bites, you can also try some additional training. Since he's young, this can be something really simple, like teaching him to sit and wait for you to give him a toy, to lay down, or roll over. Just something simple you can tell him to do so he learns to do something positive instead of biting. So the next time he bites you, tell him to sit and make him wait a few seconds, then reward him with a chew toy. This might help teach him a positive way to chew, and also immediately gives him something else to do instead of biting you.

Hopefully, he'll start to learn either the fun time stops when he bites and/or that he should be chewing a toy instead of you.
furball
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Teething issues

Post by furball »

In addition to what Morgan said, you could also try to “direct” his chewing to toys. All pups need to chew a lot so you change that.

We have tried putting kibbles in a Kong, then push a chunk of meat at the end to block the opening. Once you freeze the toy, the meat becomes a block of ice and stops the kibbles from falling out.

This guarantees about 10min of hardcore chewing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Max, Ritz, Shelly & Hunter