New Puppy Training while away at work/school

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

AppaTheBearLion
Rank 0
Rank 0

New Puppy Training while away at work/school

Post by AppaTheBearLion »

Hello Everyone,
I am new to to the forums and would like everyone's input on some simple questions I have. I am getting a new male chow chow puppy 3 weeks from now and I was wondering how some people have trained chow chows to pee on pee pads. The thing is my wife and i busy with work throughout the week. I was wondering if anyone has experience with leaving their chow chow pup in a crate (with the door open) and a small open area covered in pee pads. Would this method work ? Im usually gone for about 4-6 hours due to work. So this is something i want to figure out soon before I bring him home. I've had experience with puppies and dogs for about 10+ years. But usually with shitzus and austrilian shepards. FIRST TIME CHOW CHOW though!
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: New Puppy Training while away at work/school

Post by Laura »

I tried that with mine when they were babies. When I had to leave I would leave him in the master bath with a pee pad. He never once used it or peed on the floor. He held it. Both of mine were fully potty trained (no accidents since) by 12 weeks and given mostly free reign of the house from that point on. When sleeping I blocked off an area by the bed. They slept, no accidents. Chows for the most part are easy to house break but it's a lot of work in the beginning. I took them out constantly it seemed. About every 2 hours, after meals, and after play too. At night with our different sleeping schedules ( I'm a night owl, hubby up early) they held it about 5 hours those first few weeks.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Redfoxay
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: New Puppy Training while away at work/school

Post by Redfoxay »

I know it's too hard to understand. But the knowledge in the body.