Destructive

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ElvisChow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Destructive

Post by ElvisChow »

Hi there,

Elvis is now 9 months old and is a great companion. He's a good walker, great at learning new tricks and is so loving.

However, we've recently run into a problem, on Saturday myself and my partner went out shopping and when we came back there was a big hole in our kitchen vinyl flooring. He has done this before when he was about 4 months but has never done it since. He sleeps in the kitchen over night and during the day when we work. The past 2 days I have worked 6 hour shifts and my partner has been nightshift. So he comes home when I leave for work. So Elvis has known he is in the house and he has still ripped up the flooring and today he ripped up more of the flooring and a box that we had used to cover the hole from earlier. We are getting wooden flooring out down so he can no longer rip it up. But still concerned about this behaviour. As well as this at the weekend when we usually sleep in Elvis normally sleeps in the kitchen without making a sound until we get up. But now he has started barking at around 7 am.

Thanks,

Caitlin
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Destructive

Post by Laura »

Is he house trained? My question is why is he confined in the kitchen when you're gone and when you're home sleeping? I assume he is trying to get out and/or showing his frustration. Chows like to be near you, guarding your door for example.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Destructive

Post by Cindy J »

I agree with Laura. It seems that he is frustrated and/or bored.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye