Pooping in cage

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Lindsey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Pooping in cage

Post by Lindsey »

When we first got Phoebe, we had her cage in the living room. Every once in awhile she would be in her cage overnight but never pooped. After about a month we moved it into the spare room and since then she has pooped in it over 6 times. 4 of those times it was everywhere spread over the whole cage and on the bars. It is like she played in it afterwards. The other two it was just in a pile and stepped in.
At first we thought it was we weren't giving her time after her meal to poop as we got lax with her feeding schedule. Now she is on set times and we make sure she poops before she goes to bed. At first we would wake up in the middle of the night and take her out if she did not poop but it did not help. Now we just let her sleep in our room at night and there has been no accidents.
However, the last time she pooped twice before we left her alone and when I got home 2 hours later, her poop was everywhere.
Im not sure what to do.
Annabellam
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Pooping in cage

Post by Annabellam »

Sounds like a training problem and especially if there are no accidents when she sleeps in your room. Seems the change of environment with the crate affected it. Honestly am not an expert in this but i hope someone helps with this.
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

Were you able to potty train her before? When you moved her into your spare room, did you train her where to poop or something?
Phatiphatn12
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Phatiphatn12 »

I'm interested in looking for information as well.