11 week old puppy growling

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ChowChowlovers
Rank 0
Rank 0

11 week old puppy growling

Post by ChowChowlovers »

We very recently brought our 11 week Chow home from the breeders. We have been socializing him, and every now and then, usually after playing, he will growl at myself or my daughter. Any suggestions on how to stop this negative behavior? He is also very "nippy" when playing. Thanks to all in advance.
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: 11 week old puppy growling

Post by Cindy J »

My puppy is close to the same age. With her, she doesn't know how to end "crazy" play. A couple times per day she works herself up and is a bit nippy. I don't know the best method, but this is what is working for us. I grab the back of her neck and give a loud "EHT" sound. If she continues to mouth me I literally hold her little mouth shut and repeat the "EHT" (just a correction word I use).

This sound is used every time. Now when she charges at me I use the "EHT" just before she hits me and she pauses. That brief pause I reward her with a treat. (I am her personal treat dispenser) This has not ended the biting completely, but we have rounded a corner and she is beginning to understand that she will be corrected for biting and rewarded for not biting.

They are very smart, but they need to be taught that playing with us will end if they bite.

A little calming thing that I do while she is young is to pick her up and hold her on her back in my arms... She calms down almost instantly as I rub her belly and coo to her. It look very silly, but she loves it and almost melts into my arms. Instant CALM! When she refuses to calm down, I carry her to her crate and giver a bully stick to chew on. (time out)
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
ChowChowlovers
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: 11 week old puppy growling

Post by ChowChowlovers »

Thanks for the advice - appreciated - we have been utilizing basically the same methods and it seems to work, although we repeat as needed.