12 weeks old, suddenly peeing

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

buki
Rank 0
Rank 0

12 weeks old, suddenly peeing

Post by buki »

Hello hope someone can help me with this
My puppy Louie has been doing great with crate training and not going in the house.

We've had a few accidents, but they where outside the crate and it was very much our fault for not being on top of getting him out.

Yesterday I had two blankets on the floor for him, he walked over and peed on one. I quickly picked him up and took him outside (long steps didn't want to make him walk them with urgency to get him outside ect)

He went ahead and peed outside, I let him be for a bit before bringing him in.
Only 5 or 10 minutes passed and he peed on his second blanket!!!

Before, on this same day, he peed in his kennel (it sits open for him during the day) He juts walked in and went potty.

I dont know what to do, this was never an issue before....

Advice please?
(i've already taken away the blankets)
---------------------------Louie 8 weeks cinnamon boy---------------------------
chow4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: 12 weeks old, suddenly peeing

Post by chow4life »

Hi Buki- please have him visit a vet and make sure he does not have a urinary tract infection. We actually went through this when Matilda was very young. She would urinate right in front of us which was very unusual and not the norm for her. Come to find out this was her way of telling us. Good luck
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

When Chance was young he was solid on his potty training on tile. BUT... he had no problem peeing on carpet, blankets, and dog beds. All of these items were removed until he was "proofed" on his potty training. I agree with chow4life. Rule out UTI and then proceed with closer monitoring if necessary.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
buki
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by buki »

Thanks you two!
I contacted the breeder as well, she said I should rule out utility.
And a friend of mine who works and has had more experience with dogs than me, also said to check his urine for blood/crystals.
I'll work something out asap after work and take him to the vet.
---------------------------Louie 8 weeks cinnamon boy---------------------------
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Sounds more like marking rather than accidental peeing. Most won't see any difference, as its really the same thing, except for intention.

I do have a male who is very well trained, but will mark anything that is left lying on the floor. It's just his way. He has no interest in blankets or doggy beds. He will just mark them.

You may have something similar.
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Rory's Dad wrote:Sounds more like marking rather than accidental peeing. Most won't see any difference, as its really the same thing, except for intention.

I do have a male who is very well trained, but will mark anything that is left lying on the floor. It's just his way. He has no interest in blankets or doggy beds. He will just mark them.

You may have something similar.
Chance has peed on both my husband and my backpacks. We have learned that certain items should not be left on the floor. :shock:
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brisco »

Probably just payback for the whole crate thing. #-o
No matter where you go, there you are.