Love being outside.......

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

alicehuang830
Rank 0
Rank 0

Love being outside.......

Post by alicehuang830 »

Hi all,
Hope everyone and their chow babies are doing well, haven't been on this site for some time 8)
I recently moved into a new house with a huge back yard, my Romeo LOVES being outside and I am having hard time to get him back in the house at night. I am in Texas and weather has been beautiful (for the most part). During the day he goes in and out of the house as he pleases since someone is there are all times. When I get back from work, I take him on a mile walk, after we get home he wants to be out again. I usually let him out after dinner and when its time to come inside, as soon as he sees me walking towards him he lays down and wants his belly rubbed then selective hearing kicks in he refuses to come in. I tried bringing the leash with me and he responded to that for awhile and then he stopped. When he sees the leash maybe he thinks we are going out?! Then after few times he knows I am just trying to get him inside the house? He responds to "let's go" when its light out but at night its a different story... :? He is not food driven at all, so I can't get him inside by using treats. Any advice will be appreciated! Thank you :D By the way, Romeo will be 2 in July.

Thank you
Alice
Attachments
IMG_7646.JPG
IMG_7646.JPG (180.27 KiB) Viewed 6192 times
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Love being outside.......

Post by Laura »

Doggie door? I have one and it is the greatest thing ever. My two come in and out as they please. They are probably 50/50 on indoor/outdoor time. They especially love to be out on cool evenings/mornings.
Otherwise I'm not sure how to get him inside. I trained my two when they were pups to come inside when I clap my hands and call them by always giving them a treat and praise for compliance. If he isn't food/praise motivated then I'm not sure what to tell you. He is smart and playing you so you need to outsmart him and work on training.
Leash around here only means walk or bye bye so he probably thought the same at first and now he is on to you.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
alicehuang830
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by alicehuang830 »

Laura,
Thank you for your advice. Not sure if Romeo will use doggie door, and my patio door is a glass french door so probably not possible to do that.
You are right about he figured out leash doesn't mean we are going on a walk, at night anyway. I will just have to figure something else out! These chow babies are so smart...lol :)
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Romeo is so gorgeous. I guess that he and Chance (being half brothers) have many things in common. Chance also has zero treat motivation. AND he hates to come in at night. If he sees me coming out to get him he will run from me. We have made a game of playing chase around the yard. This can be a pain if I am in a hurry. (there is no hurrying with chows)

From time to time I have to straddle him and grab a handfull of hair on both sides, just to make him walk. Chance becomes very offended when he is forced. I have found that if he knows I am going to force him, but I back off an inch, he will huff a little then go in on his own. He is getting better... slightly.

The good thing is that once it gets super hot he does not want to stay outside as much.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
alicehuang830
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by alicehuang830 »

Hi Cindy,
Hope you and Chance are doing well! Can't believe Romeo will be 2 already... :P he is super fun and keeps me busy for sure. Romeo sounds just like Chance, he runs from me as soon as I approach then I have to wait till he gets it out of his system then at times I have to carry him in...he is 60 pounds now, has been for awhile. I guess he is on the smaller side :P I don't mind him being outside since that's what he likes, but there are times I see some ants got on him, I have had pest control come and spray the yard few times already, but I really hate seeing ants on his legs...do you have that problem as well? Maybe I will try a little cheese as his treat next time, I hardly ever give it to him, when I do he will finish his food in a minute!