Shy and Bashful

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Shy and Bashful

Post by chowchowdaddy »

OK, so I realize that this is an atypical problem, but...

We recently adopted a 4-year old female Chow, Sunni, and she is the shyest and most bashful little girl on Earth. She has turned a part of our living room into her crate (she was crate-trained and spent a great deal of her time in a crate prior to her adoption, but I don't mean that in a bad way!!!), and she no longer uses the "actual, real" crate, which has allowed us to fold it up and put it away. But, she doesn't interact with us. I typically work at home, and she is under the breakfast room table the entire time, and she'll take treats from my hand, but the only time that she'll come when we call her is if it's time to go "potty..." Every once in awhile, she'll meander into the dining room while we're having dinner, and she'll insinuate herself under the sideboard, but still no interaction. We have an older male Chow, Ming, and they get along fine. But, still, she is hesitant and shy. I am going to meet with the trainer we've always used before for "group" classes, but am going to inquire about a private class, as I just don't think she'd like a group setting. Any other suggestions?
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Shy and Bashful

Post by chowchowdaddy »

So, we had our first private session the other day and, I must admit, it went pretty well. Sunni responded WAY better to the trainer than she did to me, but I can get over that. Eventually... So, now we're working on "Come" and "Wait" and "Let's go..."
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Shy and Bashful

Post by Cindy J »

I am so glad to hear that Sunni is responding. I am guessing that the lack of adventure time in her first four years has her a bit hesitant about new thing/people. Give her some time. I am certain that she will open up once she feels safe in her new environment. Congrats on your new addition!
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye