How to use Walk'N rain dog head halter

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

How to use Walk'N rain dog head halter

Post by kevindd992002 »

It seems that the Walk'N Train that I bought just doesn't work with Walter. I wear it on him before going out, I already did desensitization on him, but as soon as we go out he simply rubs it off with his paw. I'm not sure if it's because of the sizing but it does fit his snout well and the collar part is already adjusted to its maximum tightness so that it will be a tight fit on his upper neck (I think it also fits his upper neck but it could've been more tight). As recommended, I bought a size 3 (Large) for him. To judge better, here are some pictures of Walter wearing it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5mo562r0rgfuq ... 1.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w54z1pxnc9cos ... 3.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9rn8huaspfh8v ... 0.jpg?dl=0

Are there any other techniques to make this work?
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: How to use Walk'N rain dog head halter

Post by Rory's Dad »

It may be a sizing issue. Not real familiar with the product, but based on a lot of Amazon reviews, the sizing tends to run large.

Since the size recommendation are based on breed and not actual measurements, Chows could be a real issue given the varieties of muzzle, head, and neck sizes within the breed.
kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kevindd992002 »

Yes I know, but I did account for that. The problem with the ones in Amazon is that it is advertised as Large but they will give you Extra Large. I did know that before buying so I made sure to buy a 3 (Large) and that's what I got.

Actually, there's a sizing chart for this product and is based on the snout and neck circumference. Here you go: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=26084 so yes I think I did buy the correct size. If you do a Google search, there are a lot of people experiencing the same issue with dogs pawing off the snout part and this is listed as one of the disadvantages of the head collar for other dogs. I would assume that one won't have any problems with the Easy Walk Harness, right? I'm not sure if it's wise to try out that product?
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

May I ask why you have him muzzled for walks? Correct me if I'm wrong but that appears to be encircling/closing his mouth and looks like some kind of torture device. How can he pant properly? I completely understand why he would want that off his muzzle! Why would you want him to wear that? Is he mean? Does he pull? I'm so confused.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kevindd992002 »

The Walk'N Train head halter is NOT a muzzle. I was under the assumption that most members here are familiar with the head collar/halter to correct dog pulling (no pun intended)? He definitely can pant properly with head collars. If you do a quick google search, I think that make you more easy to this training tool.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

It just looks like it closes his mouth? I bought a gentle leader easy walk harness for my two. ( nothing goes around their mouth/head) It works like a normal harness with the leash clip centered on their back/shoulder area or you can adjust it so that the leash clip area is on their chest. When it is on their chest and they pull it twists them back and they stop. It really helped with me walking two who outweigh me. After a time I was able to position it as a normal harness and they don't drag me around. I also used verbal cues and stopped when they pulled. I will win the battle and they learned that too. The harness did help though.
I think it is the petsafe easy walk harness.
kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kevindd992002 »

Laura wrote:It just looks like it closes his mouth? I bought a gentle leader easy walk harness for my two. ( nothing goes around their mouth/head) It works like a normal harness with the leash clip centered on their back/shoulder area or you can adjust it so that the leash clip area is on their chest. When it is on their chest and they pull it twists them back and they stop. It really helped with me walking two who outweigh me. After a time I was able to position it as a normal harness and they don't drag me around. I also used verbal cues and stopped when they pulled. I will win the battle and they learned that too. The harness did help though.
I think it is the petsafe easy walk harness.
The head halter uses the same concept but is concentrated on their head. It's considered one of the "humane" tools you can use to correct dog pulling but it has the disadvantage of being hard to use because of the dog's natural behavior to get it off of his snout.

The easy walk harness is exactly the harness that I'm aiming for (it was the one I asked Rory's Dad about in my earlier post in this thread). Based on the comparison chart here: http://www.petexpertise.com/dog-trainin ... -aids.html , it seems to be the one on top unless someone can point out a disadvantage of using it?
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

If you are looking for a walking harness to control pulling, which it seems like you are, then I think the best option would be those that correct the dogs path from the chest area. I understand the theory of using the head control, but as you have experienced the dog may just spend the whole walk time trying to escape the lead as if they were being muzzled. And to address Laura's concern, I think that is some of the problem. 1st off the dog is not going to be comfortable with it around his nose/mouth. And 2nd, it can't be tightened enough to trap the dog from opening his mouth to breath. That is a good thing, but limits the effectiveness of the product.

To be honest, I have 1 puller in my bunch. I tried a harness collar. The kind that attaches at the shoulder, and it made no difference whatsoever. I kind of gave up on the idea that he would be a loose leash walker. He is intact and simply wants to get to the next vertical object and mark it. I can live with that. My dogs are on a trolley run when outside most of the time. I really only have them on a leash when getting him into and out of show venues. I have learned to shorten the leash to about 2 feet (straight over the top) and just muscle him into a controllable pace. That doesn't work with my wife or daughter, so I have to get him into/out of the venue every time. He is completely different on a show lead. When he goes in to show, he is perfectly paced. It's a loop collar that would choke him it he pulled, so that may be part of it, but I wouldn't want to do that to him in normal circumstances (i.e., choke chains, prong collars, etc).
kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kevindd992002 »

Ok, got it. Walter seems to do exactly that and it's not pleasing to the eyes. I would believe that he will be accustomed to it in the long run but it still seems "harsh" to him. I was just basing my judgement on reviews all over the net and most swear by the head halter although some also see disadvantages of course.

Walter is also like that, he marks all posts and corners that have grass. Of all the front-attaching harnesses, would the Petcare Easy Walk harness be the best already? What is your comment on this article: http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues ... 782-1.html ?

Thanks.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

I didn't read the article but I have been using the same easy walk harness for 8 years and it works fine. Nothing is going to be perfect. You will still have to work with him in a calm, gentle, patient way, but if I can walk 150lb of dogs alone anybody can. I will say this though. At my house the walks are for the dogs enjoyment and nothing more. I have no interest in roaming my neighborhood or local parks with two perfectly heeling dogs at my side. The point of the walks/park and pet store visits are so they can smell and check things out. So yes they often walk in front of me (but do NOT drag me) and yes we stop and roam a lot. Their enjoyment is my concern and the only reason we go for walks. I think that sometimes people get too wrapped up in heeling and obedience and dominance and forget that the walks are for the dogs enjoyment. I'm not saying that you do that, it's just an observation. Also dogs that are not walked often or taken places tend to be over excited when they finally do get to leave their house and yard and that over excitement leads to pulling/jerking. Get a harness, give him a little freedom to explore, and just work with him on the pulling.
kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kevindd992002 »

Thanks Laura, I should've known better and just went ahead with the Easy Walk Harness the first time. Yes, that's actually my goal for Walter, to make him enjoy the surrounding. I walk him for at least thrice a day for 15 to 30 minutes each session. He tends to be very excited to go out. During the weekends, I bring him home to the province where he can roam around the terrace freely (I live in a condo during the weekdays) and he's really very very active.