Chows Guarding

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

katiebug.123
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chows Guarding

Post by katiebug.123 »

My year old Chow is having trouble with guarding. Last year, we bought a female Huskimo (alpha). After we got her we got a male Husky to play with. After we had gotten him we got our male Chow Chow. He has been socialized and has grown up with them as soon as he came into our house. However whenever our male Husky wants to go outside and we let him out, our Chow comes running and tries to attack. This starts a fight and our Chow is almost always the one that gets hurt. I'm scared this will escalate further because the Chow will not let up. We try to safely separate them but he keeps going back and fighting. He holds a grudge like no other. It is becoming almost impossible to separate them. Our female alpha tries to break up the fight but it just worsens it. Please share your opinions I don't want to get rid of any of my dogs.
P.S. all of these fights either occur at the back door or when a person is between both of the dogs. Otherwise they are completely fine with each other.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Chows Guarding

Post by Rory's Dad »

You don't mention whether the dogs are altered (fixed) or not, but that could lessen the competition.

Male dogs will fight more often than not if competing for a female regardless of how young they are introduced to each other. This can happen even with littermates.

My suggestion would be separation. Since it seems you have narrowed the problem situation, avoid it. When you mention the back door, it sounds like they are disagreeing on who goes out or in. Make sure to vary the order. Letting one out 1st all the time can be interpreted as being a favorite. Use a baby gate to keep the 2nd male away from the door when making the switch and rotate them in and out.

Your female shouldn't be the alpha, you should be. By controlling the order of things and the food resources you set the order beneath you.