One year old rescue scared of everything

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jax2015
Rank 0
Rank 0

One year old rescue scared of everything

Post by Jax2015 »

My family recently rescued a one year old chow chow, we were unfortunately given very little back ground on him beside the fact that he spent most of the time in the back yard. When we brought him home he was super skittish but warmed up to my mom within a week and is now attached to her hip at all times. He will not let myself or my father touch him he gets up an jumps around the house to avoid us all the time. When we let him out he runs out the door at full speed like he's escaping. At night he barks at anything that moves. Is there anything we can do to make him more comfortable and less skittish?
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: One year old rescue scared of everything

Post by Cindy J »

We also have a rescue. My husband gets discouraged from time to time because Gracie is so very skittish. I can tell you that we have been extremely patient with her. We have had her for about 6 months and she is now coming around. We have been careful to avoid loud noises and to always be happy upbeat around her.

Ours is very head shy and would lay on her back any time she was frightened (most of the time). She is more brave around me than my husband. We have got her to gain confidence around him by having them together more often. He fed her out of his hand a couple times and has taken her for several walks. They are finally bonding!
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye