MALE CHOW PUPPY, ACTS OUT AFTER HE GETS OVEREXCITED

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

lifewiththeodore
Rank 0
Rank 0

MALE CHOW PUPPY, ACTS OUT AFTER HE GETS OVEREXCITED

Post by lifewiththeodore »

theirs that mood that chow chows have from what i have noticed, when they go all crazy, do zoomies, dance around and act naughty!! the worst my female pup ever did was jump on the couch (a wrap around couch) and run back and forth on it knowing she wasnt allowed on the couch! she would make that face like "haha im being bad and there is nothing u can do about it" then she would calm down after we chase her for a while and comes to cuddle. NOW with this male chow puppy, he is 3.5 months and is a neat freak in the house, and listens well, today he took me in for a surprise! i take him to work with me everyday, since its a doggie day care center and boarding, he was bad at first and humped and ripped fur out of poor dogs but stopped after i kept on scolding him or picking him up, after a few days, i bring him to work and does well! so tonight as i took him in for late night, so i could let the boarders out, he got all super excited and did his whole dancing thing when i finally took them all inside to sleep. he decided to jump on all the dogs trying to get in there kennels, and kept trying to grab treats from them :/ i kept moving him and telling him no, but he got even more excited and started jumping all over me, and trying to get the treat bucket, problem is, he hates milk bones, and the ones i bought for him, i gave to the day care cause he wouldnt eat them! finally when the last dog was in, i was handing her a treat when he actually manages to steal it from her mouth and ran with it, chopped it in a few seconds and ran around like crazy jumping for more! i kept trying to calm him down, but its as if he had turned off all possible sound! WORST PART he runs into the living room facility where dogs hang out during the day when we have bad weather, and jumps on an old futon mattress thats being thrown out and PEES!!!!!!!???????? i yelled at him and told him NO but he jumped off and did his stupid dance (jumping back and forth, wiggling and smiling) i couldnt catch him! THIS IS THE FIRST TIME i have ever seen him pee on anything anywhere!!! he will wait forever if he has to, to go out and do his business in the yard! IM CONFUSED, hes little, and he shouldnt be marking at this age, even if other dogs did mark it this morning, i cant see why he did, when he doesnt pee on spots in the yard where other dogs pee!! ive been training dogs for forever and feel helpless when it comes to this little guy, he is full of surprises!
If anyone could explain as to why my male puppy peed indoors, in a place hes played in, ive tried to find answers on bing and google but came up with nothing on chow chows :\
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: MALE CHOW PUPPY, ACTS OUT AFTER HE GETS OVEREXCITED

Post by Rory's Dad »

Understand what marking is. It's a dominance issue and an act of claiming a territory or item. In fact, the entire behavior scenario sounds like he is claiming his space. 3.5 months is not unusual for this behavior. Chasing him is not going to help, he just made you part of the game. And look into the phrase "Chows & Selective Hearing". They can tune you out like no tomorrow.

Not that it's easy, but try to work on recall. You shouldn't be chasing him. He needs to learn that when you call his name, hit a clicker button, or whatever, that he comes to your side and sits. He was showing you, all the other dogs, and anyone else in eyesight that he was in charge. Also know that different levels of behavior exist in different spaces. At home, he has nothing to challenge, is comfortable and reacts nicely. Take him into the backyard and see if he responds just as well. My guess is not so much. Now add that next level with other dogs, people etc, and it goes to another step.
lifewiththeodore
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: MALE CHOW PUPPY, ACTS OUT AFTER HE GETS OVEREXCITED

Post by lifewiththeodore »

From what I read chow chows don't mark where they sleep, he peed on a mattress in the living room, he slept their earlier, in my backyard or if I bring other dogs into my yard he doesn't bother them and comes when called, just his random burst of energy and his dorky smile when he got to the living area,and peed! All dogs where kenneled in the hallways so guess hes trying to tell me I can't control him when he's not at home? I brought him to work again today and he did well, didn't pee on that mattress or anywhere inside and minded his business:/ I train dogs and know the marking thing! Its a pack mentality here, and I guess the dogs behaviors are rubbing off on him, so I'm going to teach him where his pack really is and who is alpha! So he's staying home for a bit and getting used to focusing on just me for a bit!