female attacks male for no reason

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

female attacks male for no reason

Post by gebower »

I have a 6 yr. old female Chow and a 7 yr. old male Chow. Don't know why, but the female will attack him sometimes for no reason. Sometimes, maybe it's jealousy and asserting her alpha female position. But, she'll see a cat and go after the male. i broke many fights up and it seems by now at their ages, she would have mellowed out, but no. He tries to play with a ball, she'll attack him. She doesn't want him doing anything but sit in the corner and be quiet, then maybe.
Gene
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: female attacks male for no reason

Post by Rory's Dad »

sounds a bit different from what I experience, but i'll weigh in anyway.

My female is 1 and 1/2 and consistently antagonizes my 3 year old male. Nothing vicious, no fights. Just chase him around, grab his tail, jump atop him if he is relaxing, etc. Definitely think she is asserting herself...and successfully.

What we have noticed though, is that she seldom repeats this behavior when I am not home. My daughter has them together all afternoon and they behave nicely. As soon as I am home this behavior starts. My theory is that they know who the boss is and she is trying to impress me. Separating her is not effective and when given 'a second chance' she repeats the behavior.
gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gebower »

Yes, that makes sense to me. Never looked at it that way. She's trying to impress. Luckily, she always goes for the neck and not his face. He has a pretty face. He also has a very thick mane. I've inspected him and she never does any damage, maybe a ding on the head once in a while. I break it up fast as I can. Thanks!
Gene.
Gene
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

Sounds like she's just having fun and I think the male Chow, being a year older understands her perfectly!