Potty Training 5 year Old Chow

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Mandalina23
Rank 0
Rank 0

Potty Training 5 year Old Chow

Post by Mandalina23 »

Hey Everyone!

We just adopted our sweet Boy Lofty Friday - 08/08/2014.

We are trying to figure out the best way to potty train him. - Here is his and our routine, I am open to suggestions -

I wake up in the morning and take him out out to use the bathroom, I have been having him go to the same spot in the yard , we have a long leash so sit on the porch while he is able to room the yard. He usually pees a couple of times but doesn't poop.

My husband walks him and last week he pooped a couple of times on his morning walk. But the rest of the week when my husband would get home from work in the afternoon he pooped and peed in the house.

This weekend he didn't poop in the house at all he pooped and peed on his morning walk.

This morning, I took him out and he peed, and when I left, my husband called and said he peed upstairs in a spot he's peed before.

Is he being so sporadic because we haven't put him on a set routine? Or is he simply adjusting to a new home and new owners.

I know he is a dog and when ya gotta go you gotta go and you don't you don't, but I'd rather him not get used to going in the house too much. we just bought a gate to keep him in our office room during the times we are not home and placed potty pads down for him so we are hoping that will help. But I just am at a loss of how to get him on a routine he's comfortable with and one we will be able to accommodate for him.

Hope that all made sense.

PS. He is also on some meds for a small bacteria infection that could be causing his potty habits to be sporadic. But My husband thinks he peed this morning because I left for work and it maybe upset him, but I don't think so because my husband was still home.

Anyway just looking for some insight since he is already 5 years old which I think will make it a little harder to train, but i'm not sure.

Thanks for all input!!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Potty Training 5 year Old Chow

Post by Rory's Dad »

Being 5 really isnt the issue, its not knowing what his regimen was before being rehomed.

PS, i doubt that it was spite peeing.

Best advice, remain consistent and reward for positive results. When he is out, give him a treat and a great big hug for going in the designated area. Don't rush the walks due to your schedule. I would send him out about 15 minutes after each meal. Allow enough time for him to check out the options. Once he finds a spot that works return to it. (Cleaning up that area is still a really good idea).

Carpeting can be confusing. 1st off, it feels like dirt/grass under the dogs feet. 2nd, despite every effort you will not get that scent out of the area. It may seem clean to you, but to the Chow nose, it's still a spot. I would also venture that puppy pads are sending a mixed message. You want him to go outside, but are providing inside zones. At his age, he has the ability to wait (meds and infection aside). Until he gets used to your home and routine, i would restrict him to the room closest to the exit door. Once you get used to his needs, and he gets accustomed to your schedule, you should be able to loosen the restriction.
Mandalina23
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mandalina23 »

Thanks so much for the input! That all makes sense and the 15 min. Idea I will definitely try. Thanks again!
Fairayai
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Fairayai »

Thanks for the advice. Very useful.