Grooming training

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

andygillz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Grooming training

Post by andygillz »

Hey there,

I have some issues with my Chow Bruce. For the most part, very well behaved. Likes people, kids and other dogs just fine. Very social little guy. He's 5 months old today. Today was also time for his grooming appointment. Suffice to say it did not go well and he FREAKED out. Nipping, growling and fighting (which he never does). Now he won't even let me tough his paws. I really don't know what to do with him. Any suggestions?
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Grooming training

Post by Rory's Dad »

Make grooming a part of his normal everyday life. As he grows into his adult fur, you will want to have regular maintenance done anyway, and you cant be paying a professional groomer to do that.

Start slowly. Introduce contact. Tough and pet him frequently and everywhere. Paws, face, throat, underside. Get him comfortable with that. Introduce 1 grooming tool at first. Try a pin brush or a regular comb that doesnt pull too much. GO SLOW. Try a couple strokes and then reward him for nice behavior. Small, a pea sized treat should do. Gain his attention with the treat and then hit him with the brush while he chews it. Repeat.

Many times the brush/comb will become a chew toy. You can allow that if you have other tools...its a distraction, othewise, continue to treat. This is all about getting him to accept the handling, the brushes, and the pulling at his fur. It doesnt have to be a forever thing.

If you go full on into the grooming, then the nails will need to be cut and the paw fur trimmed. Trimming tickles and he will try to pull his paw if not accustomed to it. Nail cuts can be tricky because most owners are a bit nervous and they sense that. If he pulls when you cut, it can be messy, but not a big deal. Be prepared, have a styptic powder close by.

And if you want to really go all in and bath your Chow, you will want to introduce a drier. I have a professional drier that can blow the hat off my wife from across the room. They are quieter than a standard human blow drier and operate at a lower temp. Take the time to get accustomed to that, but have fun with it with your dog. They can actually have fun chasing the air as long as you dont direct it straight at their faces. My female still has some puppy fur and drying can take several hours.
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

I think most of the dog well freak out on the first day, they are not use to it so you have to be patient and try to introduce it lil by lil until they are use to the grooming.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Rory's Das said it all.
That's exactly how I got my guys to get accustomed to grooming.
With Simba my first Chow it went so well that he loves massage now, while being groomed. He actually demands :D being stroked and petted before or after brushing. He learned to stay on one side and roll-over just because he likes grooming so much. Blow drying no problem. But again as Rory's Dad said I'm nervous about cutting nails, so he is not happy when I get the clipper nor do I :roll:
So be patient and start learning grooming yourself, saves money and will be fun and time together with your Chow.
Best regards
Pinoy51
essentialpaw
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by essentialpaw »

My dog loves being massaged and petted. He enjoys when his hair is being trimmed or nails cut.
It takes time for your pet to get used to grooming, but once he does he will enjoy it.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

nice to see this older post bumped. since my original response, I have trained myself in the use of a dremel tool. it makes all the difference in the world in my opinion. I am no longer worried about clipping the nail too deep, and can simply grind a little bit of the nail at a time. it does a great job, and the nail quick gets drawn back easily so there is little chance of drawing blood. I have a cordless model that is pretty quiet, so the dogs don't mind it too much. it can still cause a bit of a tickle, but really does a great job. my female, Amber, was always a problem with nail trims, and a serious bleeder, but no problems with this method. I still use the treats for distraction, since I they are so comfortable I worry about them licking the dremel drum now. and I would recommend trimming the paw fur before doing the nails, since the fur could catch in the rotary shaft.